beefy
10/17/2007, 02:31 PM
i am lookingfor an AQUA C REMORA skimmer, anyone know anyone selling

luke33
10/17/2007, 02:49 PM
Please dont waste ur money

Stormtrker
10/17/2007, 02:57 PM
So far I have found these work well on small tanks without sumps. Love my Deltec skimmer on the large tank! Have a 28G nano tank with a Remora and it works well for a hang on back skimmer.

Nereaga
10/17/2007, 06:18 PM
I have been using an Aqua C Remora on my 55g reef tank for about a year now. It has been very consistent for me, skimming dark coffee like skimmate. I have heard mixed reviews about this product recently.

For a sumpless sytem, IMO, this is a great addition to any tank that lacks a protein skimmer.

Brad

luke33
10/17/2007, 08:04 PM
Typical answers for people who haven't used a good skimmer before. I repeat don't get one.

kdblove_99
10/18/2007, 05:27 AM
agree^ owned one, poor performer

95accord
10/18/2007, 06:24 AM
i've heard hit or miss reviews.....i plan on getting a HOB skimmer in the near future as well. im thinking abo9ut sopending the extra few dollars to get a guarenteed performer; Tunze 9010
IMO

95accord
10/18/2007, 06:24 AM
i've heard hit or miss reviews.....i plan on getting a HOB skimmer in the near future as well. im thinking about spending the extra few dollars to get a guarenteed performer; Tunze 9010
IMO

luke33
10/18/2007, 06:28 AM
Sounds like a very good idea ; )

95accord
10/18/2007, 06:30 AM
you know what they say....you get what you pay for.....and go big or go home! lol

scottfarcuz
10/18/2007, 06:31 AM
I've owned 3 actually. I will agree they aren't that great. Some do seem to perform better than others for some reason. Was a time it was pretty much the only HOB option to prizim...

beefy
10/18/2007, 07:15 AM
so what would be the way to go for a 46 gallon bow?

luke33
10/18/2007, 07:25 AM
For that size there's a few options out there that work well. The tunze 9005 or 9010 would work great but are in tank skimmers so there ugly. The turbofloater will work for a 55g or less and is around 200ish, the mce600 by deltec will work fine but has a chance to overflow adn there 500bux! ouch! The bermuda rogue will work fine but there having microbubble probs right now 250bux, there's an octo thread going around that looks promising as well. Around 130 bux.

luke33
10/18/2007, 07:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10997699#post10997699 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scottfarcuz
I've owned 3 actually. I will agree they aren't that great. Some do seem to perform better than others for some reason. Was a time it was pretty much the only HOB option to prizim...

I'd agree with you 100% right here man! There was a time where remora was your best option........but that time has passed by a while back.

scottfarcuz
10/18/2007, 07:37 AM
Oh I agree...Still options being what they are, for best performance/options. I'd drill the tank. I know most of us do start sumpless. I did also. Looking back I wasted a lot of money, but that isn't what the OP is asking.

I have no experience with them, but the deltec seems to be the only HOB one that gets consistent decent reviews. Id buy the tunze, and deal with the intank look.

Stormtrker
10/18/2007, 07:59 AM
Definitely don't go the Deltec MCE600 route. Had one on a 45G and it never performed well. Very prone to overflow!

95accord
10/18/2007, 08:01 AM
A Tunze is good since it can be mounted in tank....or in sump for when you decide to upgrade toa sump.
dual-functionality, something most other skimmers out there dont have.

Steve973
10/18/2007, 09:31 AM
I was running an AquaC Remora on my Via Aqua 18 gallon tank as an HOB skimmer. It wasn't ever doing very well, in my opinion. It skimmed a bit, but it never made me say, "WOW!". I then converted it to run in a sump by removing the set screw and extending the pump so that it will sit on the floor of the sump. Needless to say, it didn't perform any better in this situation. In two weeks, I might get a half-inch of medium-colored skimmate. I realize that you don't have a sump, but I replaced this skimmer recently with a EuroReef RS80, and the difference is astounding. This one skims in two days what the Remora skimmed in two weeks. I'm not saying that AquaC skimmers are bad by any means, but the Remora model isn't an adequate skimmer, in my opinion

This particular situation obviously doesn't help you directly, since you don't have a sump, but the point is that you should make sure you get a really good skimmer.

reggiepe
10/18/2007, 10:13 AM
I have used one for a couple of years. I did take the Maxi off of it and replaced it with a MAG 5 pump. I have a sump on my 30 gallon breeder, so I don't have to be concerned with the look of that big MAG 5 in my dispaly area. I like the performance of it and it gets me a cup full per week on a lightly loaded tank.

Rick2203
10/18/2007, 10:27 AM
i hace a Remora Pro and for the price of this thing, it should be skimming at least 1 cup a day, it was performing like a $50 skimmer, very dissapointing, i ended up selling it on ebay for $50 what a waste of money that was, and it was loud also, the water spraying was like listening to a sprinkler system all day

Steve973
10/18/2007, 10:34 AM
For what it's worth, I think the AquaC models other than the Remora and Urchin are much better. But I can't even begin to recommend any other hang-on models since I don't have any experience with those. Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I had a CPR Bakpak 2 in the very beginning of my attempt at this hobby. I think that it's very very comparable to the Remora. That being said, AquaC customer service is excellent.

reefnut00001
10/18/2007, 10:37 AM
I have a remora pro with a mag 3 and surface skimmer box, it does ok on a 72 gal bow. Has anybody tried drilling out the injector and adding a needle wheel pump to improve imporve performance. Kinda make it like a mce600? also are their any other improvments that i can make ? Would i really do that much better upgrading this skimmer or just leave well enough alone ?

mg426
10/18/2007, 11:07 AM
Count me in the I had/owned a Remora club. Not much of a skimmer IMO.

Steve973
10/18/2007, 11:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10999155#post10999155 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnut00001
Has anybody tried drilling out the injector and adding a needle wheel pump to improve imporve performance.
I'm not an expert on needlewheel technology, and I'm not an expert on skimmer technology in general, but I don't think this would work very well. The idea of the spray injection skimmer is to have the water pump in from the top of the skimmer, and that's what causes the bubbles. If you put a needlewheel pump on this skimmer and had a venturi to inject air, it would have to travel up the injector pipe and turn 180 degrees to spray into the water. I'm not sure that this would help very much, and the two technologies might end up working against each other. However, if you have a needlewheel pump sitting around, it wouldn't hurt to try it, but I'd be hesitant to spend money on it when it doesn't seem like it would be very helpful.

I believe that only thing that you can do is put a more powerful pump on the skimmer, because more/faster water will cause more air to be "injected" into the skimmer. There's a caveat, though. With more water volume, the water will be flowing faster through the skimmer, so there will be less contact time with the bubbles. You might be able to skim more, but it's going to be wetter skimmate as a result of more water flow.

Would i really do that much better upgrading this skimmer or just leave well enough alone ?
I think this is a very subjective question. If it pulls out enough skimmate and your inhabitants are doing as well as you'd like, then it's probably fine. If you have some problems due to organics, then it might be helpful to upgrade your current one, or replace it.

luke33
10/18/2007, 11:30 AM
There are a few people that have drilled out the injector and turned it into a nw skimmer. From what i hear it can't handle hardly any air so it doesn't work well. I would suggest you sell it and buy a decent skimmer in its place.

mg426
10/18/2007, 12:12 PM
Thats what I ended up doing.

reefnut00001
10/18/2007, 12:48 PM
so what to buy in its place ..... would love a deltec mce600 i think. The remora spraying into the water makes a very loud gurgleing sound. Is the deltec or any other h.o.b skimmers any quieter ?
Also any other suggestions other than the deltec ?

mg426
10/18/2007, 12:50 PM
Bermuda aquatics

happyface888
10/18/2007, 12:59 PM
Tunze doc skimmers

luke33
10/18/2007, 01:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10997946#post10997946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
For that size there's a few options out there that work well. The tunze 9005 or 9010 would work great but are in tank skimmers so there ugly. The turbofloater will work for a 55g or less and is around 200ish, the mce600 by deltec will work fine but has a chance to overflow adn there 500bux! ouch! The bermuda rogue will work fine but there having microbubble probs right now 250bux, there's an octo thread going around that looks promising as well. Around 130 bux.

happyface888
10/18/2007, 03:37 PM
^agree^

customanimalart
10/19/2007, 03:38 PM
This is a pain in the butt. Just when I had made my decisions on a remora HOB, I find threads like this. I find it odd as I have read nothing but good reviews about it by WWM, magazines and customer reviews.

Now I am back to square one. The HOB octopus is the frontrunner right now, but I am still all confused about what is best on my budget as I hate to throw money away.

H...E...L...P!:confused: :mad2:

happyface888
10/19/2007, 03:51 PM
From what I understand is that aquac sponsors wwm so they recommend that thing. It was good when it was the only hob skimmer but there are many choices now. Tunze in tank skimmer are good have not heard anything negative. The deltec hang on if you have 500 dollars to spend. turbofloter multi seems good too but might have a giant pump hanging in your tank. The cpr I have used for 7yrs mostly green tea light. Nothing special. I also have used the typhoon and had a hard time tweaking it. So far I am pretty satisfied with mine. Doesnt even look like it needs a mod.

luke33
10/19/2007, 07:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11009006#post11009006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customanimalart
This is a pain in the butt. Just when I had made my decisions on a remora HOB, I find threads like this. I find it odd as I have read nothing but good reviews about it by WWM, magazines and customer reviews.

Now I am back to square one. The HOB octopus is the frontrunner right now, but I am still all confused about what is best on my budget as I hate to throw money away.

H...E...L...P!:confused: :mad2:

How large is your tank and what is your budget? WWM only suggests the remora because its there largest and almost there only sponsor.

tadashi123
10/19/2007, 08:14 PM
lol @ wetwebmedia.
Half their responses to viewer questions is "please read the faq, truly yours, bob fenner"

and fenner outsources his question answering to a bunch of self righteous know it alls. LOL, i cant believe i used to read that site religiously. And yes, wwm does plug the remora way too often, but i guess it's typical with a lot of sponsored forums.
I have yet to see a reef magazine editorialize negatively on kent's garbage additives and suuplements when they take out a full page ad every month, too.

customanimalart
10/19/2007, 11:14 PM
Oh...sponsors. I did not realize that.
I find wwm a bit of a pain in the butt to search for answers to your questions. I spent way to many hours browsing the site, not to get much answered at all. Those faq's are unbelievable the way it is laid out.

customanimalart
10/19/2007, 11:19 PM
How large is your tank and what is your budget? WWM only suggests the remora because its there largest and almost there only sponsor.

My budget is low, low, low. See the bottom of my signature =D

luke33
10/19/2007, 11:57 PM
If the bermuda isn't going to happen, look into a octo for your 55g tank, and remember to ask as many questions as possiblw before hitting the buy button.

customanimalart
10/20/2007, 12:15 AM
I was reading the threads about the octo and it was mostly on modding them. Since I am not diy savvy, I figured the octo doesn't work well enough out of the box. So this one I may pass on. I just want a good "plug n play" skimmer.

happyface888
10/20/2007, 12:28 AM
Wrong, The octos are a plug and play skimmer. I havent modded mine and it works right out of the box nor has the others yet. I was thinking of seeing if it would do a better job but have not done any modding just brain storming atm and the pump Im messing with isnt the stock pump its another pump. Mine is still stock. And skims pretty good. You can ignore the mods thoes are just testing stuff. If you look at pIanktons pics you will see hes running the regular one unmodded on a 90gallon and is getting good skimmate. Just dont jump to conclusions;)

PIanktons octo 34hrs of skimming stock on a 90gallon
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/sneeyatch/IMG_0972.jpg

customanimalart
10/20/2007, 12:50 AM
As I said, I am not diy savvy, so as I read through the posts, I didn't catch any that said they worked right out of the box. So I thought they were modding them to get them to work better than they do. Sorry for the confusion. =)

BYW--nice looking gunk you got there.

happyface888
10/20/2007, 01:25 AM
Np, I hope you find the hob your looking for. theres really not alot of choices, if the octo doesnt meet what your looking for here are the others that are good preformers from what I have heard.
here are a few choices
500 dollars deltec Hob Seems pretty dam pricey
250 dollars turbofloter multi has a big pump in the tank and you need atleast 10 inches of clearence for the thing to hang.
140 dollars Tunze doc 9002 up to 52gallons In tank skimmer
255 dollars tunze doc 9005 upto 132 gallons In tank skimmer
250 dollars bermuda rogue but heard some micro problems but every hob skimmer has micros.
Hope you find a good hob for your tank its best to get a sump though

FishAreFriends2
10/20/2007, 09:56 AM
Go for the octo I have one and its working pretty well out of the box. I just got mine last week and I am getting yellow skimmate atm still trying to find the sweet spot.

romanr
10/20/2007, 11:49 AM
I will say that my Remora Pro with Mag 7 and tall collection cup has done extremely well for me. It fills the larger cup up about every 3 or 4 days with a tan and smelly skim. I have a 65G with a 10G sump and the Remora Pro hangs on the sump. This reduces the bubbles.

If you are using the Remora as a HOB only skimmer note that you need to find a way to draw water from the top of the tank. I made a PVC pipe surface skimmer and it worked well. You also need to know that the bigger pumps do get you better performance but lots more bubbles in the tank and more heat. This skimmer (Pro) should not be used for anything bigger than a 75 in my opinion.

luke33
10/20/2007, 11:58 AM
romanr, i used the same exact remora and got about an inch of skimmate every other week. There quality control on building those things are terrible. One may work decent and 10 will work crappy. Glad you got one that works ok.

FishAreFriends2
10/20/2007, 12:06 PM
Doesnt that set cost like 300 dollars or something?

customanimalart
10/20/2007, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11014019#post11014019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FishAreFriends2
Doesnt that set cost like 300 dollars or something?

Yup. Remora Pro> 225.00+50.00 for a skimmer box= 275.00 approximately.

FishAreFriends2
10/20/2007, 01:38 PM
I went with the octo myself. I was in the same boat as you. Deciding weather the remora was good or not after awhile didnt go for it. Some say its a hit or miss. I was tempted to get a typhoon due to the rave reviews but I talked to a few with pms and figured I'd try the octo since I dont have alot of money to spend. I like the octo, its built really nice.

customanimalart
10/20/2007, 08:10 PM
I am thinking about an Octopus Hang-on w/enclosed pump and skimmer box.
http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1013
Now, if I can get some reviews from anyone that owns this type.
The bermudas are still new and not alot of reviews on it, plus it is 100.00 more.
Man, this is a hard decision as I don't want to go wrong here.

luke33
10/20/2007, 08:23 PM
For a 55g man, the enclosed octo should be fine. Now the octo could have probs with pump issues as a few people have talked about that, but it seems to be an overall decent hot skimmer out there.

customanimalart
10/20/2007, 08:36 PM
can you lead me to the threads of those that have had pump issues? What issues were they? I have been searching for threads "octo" related and haven't seen that one yet.

luke33
10/20/2007, 08:44 PM
Its in this thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11015924#post11015924

happyface888
10/20/2007, 08:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11016585#post11016585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by customanimalart
I am thinking about an Octopus Hang-on w/enclosed pump and skimmer box.
http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1013
Now, if I can get some reviews from anyone that owns this type.
The bermudas are still new and not alot of reviews on it, plus it is 100.00 more.
Man, this is a hard decision as I don't want to go wrong here.

I own the enclosed pump skimmer. I havent had any problems with mine. When I first got it, it was noisey took it out examined the pump nothing wrong. than I found out that the pump was layiong against the plastic so it vibrated making a nice hum. but now that its not laying against the plastic I dont hear anything. Also as a bonus this skimmer comes with two extra lids used to cover the left and right side. So it pretty much blocks the noise from the air sucking and even the slightest hum from the pump. But there is a little problem there instructions suck for starting the skimmer. you have to do something to get the siphon started and its annoying but I found a easy solution use a pump and blast water up the intake and your siphon starts. Problem solved. And in a days worth of skimming heres what I got.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff49/happyface8888/101507_2010a.jpg
Notice the left and right sides of the collection cup you will see there are lids and water vapor build up there

customanimalart
10/20/2007, 09:00 PM
LOL! I was just reading that thread. Thanks

happyface888
10/20/2007, 09:04 PM
np, Im still trying to find this so called "sweetspot" since luke mentioned

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11013963#post11013963 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luke33
The internal design is going to be a much betterperformer because there is zero pressure on the air intake. It pump's teh water right out unlike the piping the outside pump has to go through, it'll pry do twice as much air as the outside pump model just because its restricting the air pumping up then down.

So I am guessing its got a different "sweetspot" than the external pump one.

3 days of skimming
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff49/happyface8888/1017071954.jpg
looks like pee yellow

customanimalart
10/20/2007, 09:07 PM
Cool. Thanks! Decision made.