PDA

View Full Version : risk it or build another stand ?

tl_vang86
10/17/2007, 10:43 PM
well i first started out wanting to start a 40 gallon breeder so i build a stand for it. but when the time came i got myself a 29 gallon instead. should i use the stand that i build or should i make another stand to fit the 29 gallon.

40 breeder: 36 long x18width
29 gallon: 30long x 12 width

will this cause a problem?? so basically the 29 will sit on the top plywood piece. what can i do to the stand to make it better for the 29 gallon ?? put another sheet of plywood on top ?? add more leg support (dont know how).

szwab
10/17/2007, 11:17 PM
how thick is the ply wood? If you have access to the top place supports in that would run under the frame of the tank and you should be ok.

tl_vang86
10/17/2007, 11:40 PM
plywood is 3/4". if i add another 3/4" sheet on top and run some support it would be alright?

szwab
10/17/2007, 11:43 PM
I would think so. If it were my stand I'd do it that way and not think twice about it.

tl_vang86
10/17/2007, 11:47 PM
i will give it a try..just worried about 29 gallons of water on the floor on the second level of an apartment.

szwab
10/17/2007, 11:59 PM
IMO it would take more weight stress 1.5 inches of plywood :)

woz9683
10/18/2007, 11:07 AM
It will be fine as is, but add the extra piece of plywood if it makes you feel better about it. You're talking about the new tank being displaced from the vertical supports by, at most, 3", but it's really less than that if you account for the thickness of the plywood.

You should probably post a picture of it with the empty tank on top just to give an idea of the original construction method (is it relying on compression strength of wood or shear strength of fasteners?) and the actual displacement from the vertical supports. But, unless it was built incorrectly in the first place I would be very confident with it, and probably more so after I see it.

95accord
10/18/2007, 11:36 AM
should be fine. the biggest problem would be esthetic....having more stand sticking out from underneath the tank.
IMO

Piscator
10/18/2007, 12:33 PM
Guess I'm just wierd and like building stands. Personally, I'd sell the other tank if you aren't using it, with the stand, and build a nice new one for the 40. Not for structural reasons...its just fun!

Again...I'm just wierd I guess.

woz9683
10/18/2007, 12:44 PM
He built the stand for a 40 gallon, but then changed his mind and got a 29 gallon tank. He doesn't have a 40 gallon tank to sell at all.

Although, that does make me think of a good point. Why build the stand before getting the tank, know you've already built the stand for a specific size tank, but then get a smaller tank anyway? Surely you budgeted for the tank you obviously planned to get, and space can't be an issue otherwise the stand would be useless. I mean, how much of a cost or appearance difference are we talking about here anyway, 6" length and width, and maybe $50?