PDA

View Full Version : Convict tang died

dp reefer
10/19/2007, 01:41 AM
I've kept several tangs with little to no problems (exception being ich on blue tangs), but I got a convict tang about a month ago from a lfs and it refused to eat anything, not even live brine soaked in selcon and garlic (I tried everything, a bunch of types of frozen, dry, and seaweed/live macro-algae). The only thing that it would even acknowledge as food was dried seaweed, but that wouldn't keep it fat enough, or maybe it was just pretending to eat. Everything else in the tank was fat and happy from so much food being dished out everyday, but the convict just wouldn't eat, even though it seemed otherwise healthy. Anyone have any ideas why it wouldn't eat? I guess some fish just don't adapt to aquarium life

Freed
10/19/2007, 04:58 AM
I just had a heniochus diphreutes die on me yesterday in QT. It would not eat after the second week in. The first two weeks it was eating fine. Don't know why they do that.

tydtran
10/19/2007, 12:16 PM
Convict tangs are dedicated herbivores. They are specialized to survive on a diet of marine algae, although with other fish around they will nibble at the meaty food thrown into the tank. Leave lots of nori around for it to graze. If your tank has some algae growing, that would be great also. Fresh greens like romaine lettuce, spinach are also acceptable if you freeze them first to break down their structure and make them more digestable.

tydtran
10/19/2007, 12:17 PM
Convict tangs have a reputation for doing well in captivity if given sufficient green food.

tydtran
10/19/2007, 12:18 PM
They are also amond the most peaceful of tangs and don't do well with aggressive tankmates. One of my favorite fish.

tydtran
10/19/2007, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately, most LFS I've seen don't properly feed their fish, especially herbivores. If it arrived in your tank too emaciated from lack of food, it has a tendency to just waste away. Cyanide collection is another reason for failure to eat, although should be less likely with convict. These fish are native to the Hawaii region and collection there is suppose to be by humane methods. I also read once that collection is limited to speciment over 5 inches. Apparently, convict tangs are a favored food fish and collection limits exist to preserve their number.