PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Tank Stand?

fishnugget
10/19/2007, 04:50 AM
I followed plans by Rocket for stand. It rocks a little. Don't know why.

Have not put plywood on sides yet. Will that fix the problem?

If not what causes this rocking? How do I fix it?

Would putting plywood on bottom help?

It currently sits on 2*4 base.

fishnugget
10/19/2007, 06:37 AM
????

cannarella
10/19/2007, 07:33 AM
Give us time to get our coffee and wake up. When you say rocks do yoy mean rack like a parallelagram or rocks like it is not on a level surface. If it is racking the plywood will eliminate that. If it is rocking you will need to look at what it is rocking on.

fishnugget
10/19/2007, 07:50 AM
I believe it is rocking not racking. I have it in garage on cement floor. Racking I believe is like a shifting. This is unsteady or rocking, only when I touch it. It seems to be front to back. I am wonder. I just used a level. Front to back it is level. Leftt to right, the right is a tad lower than left, however still in center area of levels 2 center lines if you know what I mean

fishnugget
10/19/2007, 07:51 AM
If I put plywood on bottom, should that help as well as sides?

cannarella
10/19/2007, 08:24 AM
You need to have a level place to start with. A garage floor is usually sloped. Check the floor with a 4' level to make sure it is flat. If not take it inside to a floor with linoleum or really flat tile that is level according to the level. Then see if it rocks. If it still does get some shims and use them between the stand and the floor with the level on the top of the stand to level it. You can mark the shims and then see where the high and low sides of the stand are located. More the likely you will need to shim the stand in the final location. Is the final location on a hard floor or carpet? Seeing that you live in south FL you are probably in a single story with lots of tile. ( I used to live in SW FL) If it is going to be on the tile just use the shims that you marked earlier and level it up again and break the off flush with the stand. I would suggest if you have a large gap, say over 1/4", that you actually cut a spacer out of wood to fit. I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Let me know if I can help out any more.

fishnugget
10/19/2007, 08:34 AM
No that makes alot of sense. My other question. Would it help to put plywood on sides and underneath? 1/2 inch

cannarella
10/19/2007, 08:47 AM
It would not help to put underneath. It could actually make the rocking worse. On the sides and back would help with racking.

fishnugget
10/19/2007, 08:57 AM
Thank you

cannarella
10/19/2007, 09:04 AM
No problem and good luck. You have any pictures you can post up?

jefnalyssa
10/19/2007, 09:32 AM
I dont know the plans your building from. Pics would help. I can give you some general practices. Make sure the boards for the legs are all the same length. Boards for the tank length are the same and so on. Then get a framing square. When you fasten stuff together put the square in there. Once its built. If it rocks on the floor use a shim. If you have to shim over 3/8" cut a board and use that. Dont use plywood for a shim. If it is racking plwood wood help just make sure you cut the plywood square.