PDA

View Full Version : coralife super skimmer 220 mod ??

Jasontkd
10/19/2007, 01:28 PM
hey all, looking for some mods for my CSS 220-needlewheel.

I already did the fishing string mod and like it. I also connected some airline tubing with a valve on it to the air intake to control bubble size. However, i am not sure if I am skimming as well as I could be.

I have it set up on a 29 gallon reef with 20 gallon sump. Sometimes my water level can be below the Collection cup connector and i can get great foam. Other times, I can have the water level almost to the top of the collection cup and get nothing.

Are there any mods that can help me skim better? Maybe a gat valve mod

acroporas
10/19/2007, 02:53 PM
Usually inconsistant performance like that is due to fluctuations in the water level in the sump.

Jasontkd
10/19/2007, 03:05 PM
my water level doesn't fluctuate. the chamber of my sump that my skimmer is in always stays at the same level. also, it is not water level changes causing the fluctuation, it is my setting it to try and get it to skim

chk4tix
10/19/2007, 03:33 PM
I dont know of any real mods you can do to your skimmer. I have the coralife 220 and it seems to take me literally weeks to get it to work correctly after cleaning. The only mod I plan on doing in the futher is the "g-1x mod"

Jasontkd
10/19/2007, 03:35 PM
would a gate valve help to get the thing tuned in easier after cleaning?

sfsuphysics
10/19/2007, 03:37 PM
I have the same skimmer on one of my tanks, and one thing I notice if I wrap my fingers around the filter intake closest to th pump it starts sucking air in like a champ. So my thought is that maybe it's pulling too much water in at times making it hard to get a venturi to suck much air into the skimmer. Now my pump is barely below the surface of the water, but I"m not sure what the ideal depth of it is but you might want to make a little sleeve (3/4" or so pvc) and restrict the water intake.

Another thing is are you cleaning out the venturi hole? It doesn't take long for salt creep to cover the opening.

silvers
10/19/2007, 03:45 PM
Gate Valve helps ALOT , larger pump w/ a mesh mod dose wonders but LARGER PUMP is #1 the stock pump is way to small for that size skimmer , cut down inside tube for longer contact time and put on a larger venturi. I have mine on a 22g nano. I have seen some threads where people have put an a sedra rec. mod.

silvers
10/19/2007, 03:48 PM
I used air line connectors and opened up the venturi to 1/2 inch it pulls alot of air but it is verry loud

Jasontkd
10/19/2007, 03:51 PM
What do you mean by:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11008640#post11008640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by silvers
cut down inside tube for longer contact time and put on a larger venturi.

Mine is the needlewheel verison. is yours the venturi one?