PDA

View Full Version : Are all electronic MH ballasts created equal?

Wrench
10/20/2007, 02:40 PM
I have access to some electronic MH ballasts pretty cheap and was wondering if they'll work similarly to an Ice Cap or Eballast. I can get either Advance brand or Universal Lighting Technologies brand. I figure that the "aquarium" companies aren't making their own and have to get them somewhere, re-badge them and mark them up 200%.

The tag says;

For use with: (1)250w MH M-58
W/ MH2000 Starter

If they're not the same, what is the difference?

DarG
10/20/2007, 04:02 PM
M58 is the ANSI code for a 250 watt Probe Start magnetic metal halide ballast. Core and capacitor, designed to run SE bulbs with built in ignitors. Although, the "W/MH2000 Starter" on the label sounds like there is a built in ignitor in the ballast which should really make it a pulse start ballast. But I'm not a guru and I could be missing something like the "starter" referring to something other than the ignitor. Anyway, I dont think they assign ANSI codes to the electronic ballasts. Electronic ballasts are designed to run any SE bulbs and will run most DE bulbs (although usually below potential). Are you sure it's an electronic ballast?

Electronic ballasts are small and light compared to magnetics. If the thing is a pretty large paperweight it's probably magnetic, not electronic. No offense intended if I'm telling you something you already know. I dont mean to come off as condescending.

Anyway, again, there shouldnt be an ANSI code assigned to the electronic ballast. I dont know of any that are specific to probe start or pulse start halides. All the electronic ballasts I know of claim to run every bulb (except for a few that IceCap modifies for a few specific bulbs). If it was actually an electronic that is labeled M58, then it should be specific to Probe start SE bulbs and that would be a first for me in hearing of one. But like I said, Im not a halide guru.

Wrench
10/20/2007, 05:25 PM
You're right. After I posted that I saw that they were magnetic. The search continues.