View Full Version : mushroom and sponge frag?

10/20/2007, 02:44 PM
i got a small piece of yellow sponge with a little mushroom attached at my LFS. i was wondering what was the best way to attach these 2 corals to individual rocks, i doubt they will be able to co exist for long. every time i get a little coral it ends up blowing around my tank till it dies because it never attaches. any advice would be great.

10/20/2007, 02:47 PM
put the mushroom in a tupaware w/ some holes so it can get some flow...
inside, put LR rubble and sooner or later, the mushroom will attach.

OR, cut the rock base piece of each coral w/ a dremel, and super glue it to a rock that youd want it to grow on.

10/20/2007, 02:53 PM
i can super glue a sponge directly to LR without harming it? they both have no rock base. its literally a just sponge with a mushroom on it.

10/20/2007, 03:30 PM
Be careful with the sponge, sponges are very sensitive, if you expose it to air, small bubbles can get into their tissue. These bubbles block the water flow through them and are often fatal. As for superglue, there are some corals you can superglue directly, such as zoa's, but I seriously doubt the same can be said for sponges.

10/20/2007, 03:40 PM
are sponges sensitive to high light conditions?

10/20/2007, 03:51 PM
Sponges can be smothered by algae so, it is generally preferable to keep them in a shady area to prevent excess algae growth. That being said however, I have some blue tube sponges growing in a colony of Hammer coral. The hammer coral is located under bright lighting and the sponge seems to be doing well.