PDA

View Full Version : Tap water vs. RO/DI

Sour D
10/21/2007, 10:07 AM
ok. I understand ro/di is better.

Who uses tap and do you condition it??

What is the worst that could happen?

Could I cycle with tap and then slowly replace it thru weekly water changes.

I just don't want to drag all this water from walmart.
and don't have the budget for a RO/DI system.

any advice is welcome.

Thanx,
D

marduc
10/21/2007, 10:26 AM
Tap water is a crap shoot, you never know what is in it and when it is there.

Also replacing the initial tap water via water changes will be a slow inefficient process. If you were to do weekly 10% changes, it will take 22 of them to rid yourself of 90% of the tap water.

The worst that could happen? you could introduce copper, arsenic, or other toxins to your aquarium and be stuck with traces of that forever, copper is toxic to invertebrates at just a few parts per billion, so even if you introduce minute amounts from tap water it can linger at toxic levels despite a multitude of water changes.

Also if you play the russian roulette game with tap water once, you will be likely to rationalize to continue to do so, or at least be tempted to top off with it.. do it the right way from the start.

jcpatella
10/21/2007, 10:26 AM
When I started my tank, I loaded it from hose water and threw the live sand and live rock in. At the time, I didn't think to do any research first, but as I learned more about it, I began water changes with ro water. I didn't put anything in my tank for the first few weeks and did large water changes before I did. There were really no deaths, but the algae became a quick nuisance.

You're going to have to lug water from wal-mart sooner or later, so if I were setting my tank up again, I'd take two days to make a couple of trips and start the tank off right. Also, many local fish stores sell ro/di water, so you could bring a new (clean) trash can or container and fill it up. This would be easier than lugging 30 water jugs from walmart.

Sour D
10/21/2007, 10:38 AM
I could do it in 2 or 3 trips. Problem is I'm going in 4 back surgery next week and can't be liftin all that weight. I do have a strong wife tho. hmmmm.

...hunny we goin to wally world 2nite b4 the Steeler game.

Thanx,
D

rogergolf66
10/21/2007, 10:45 AM
DON'T USE TAP WATER

If you do you will always have problems.

also if you do use tap water and you do have problems it will always be blamed on the tap water even if it is not the cause.

I agree make trips over a few days if needed but don't use tap water

K' Family Reef
10/21/2007, 11:05 AM
i went thru this same debate when i first got started reefing
i really wanted to believe i could do it right out of my tap - would have been so convenient! and one will always hear stories about guys who have been using tap water since the '70s (thinking) successfully!

one needs to realize before they even start reefing -
its not for beginners that means its really for the PROFESSIONALS... who know what they are doing been there -done that!

this is one of the single biggest things i have realized!
(but like everyone else i dove in headfirst)... if you do it RIGHT you will just about have a PHD in marine biology/chemistry by time its all set up!

point being THERE IS A SERIOUS LEARNING CURVE!
and financial loss/(investment?) is a major factor in that.

which means if you want to do it right
you will need an ro/di unit or atleast access to a water store/machine to get refills - actually i waited for mos before getting one - and adding up all that i spent on water/jugs/TIME/gas to-fro... i could have purchased one much sooner! -its so much more convenient and we like to have RO water to keep in our refrigerator for our family to drink!

iow its well worth the investment in more ways then one! but if you are worried about buying one of these - then get READY for a serious (financial) rollercoaster ride!

loosecannon
10/21/2007, 12:43 PM
I use tap . I put it in a gal milk jug. than add a shot of sresscote, and air stone the jug for 7 days. than when I mix up salt. I use a power head heater , and airstone for a nother week. I also put a cup or two of tank water in it , to help make it like the tank water. I have not had any alge out bracks to date.