PDA

View Full Version : Odd clown issues

Debbie64
10/21/2007, 01:33 PM
I’m stumped. I have 2 ocellaris clowns (along with 3 chromis) in a 20 gal QT. They’ve been in for 4 weeks now. All eating, all swimming, no discoloration, no gasping, no unusual behavior. Since the first day right out of the bag, the clowns have each had an unusual, different symptom.

One has what I might describe as gaping gills. They don’t really look swollen – just sort of slightly flared out. In fact from the front, it is not a noticeable condition. The gills are not discolored, and he doesn’t seem to be bothered by them. He has been like this for 4 weeks now, no change and apart from this he appears perfectly healthy.

The other clown also appears perfectly healthy - not discolored, not gasping, eating plenty. Her condition seems to be a single, very tiny pimple-like bump – smaller than a grain of sand, more like the business end of a sharp pencil - on the right side of her chin. It is not discolored, it is the same orange as the surrounding flesh, it is truly barely visible and it has not changed in appearance in 4 weeks.

I’ve got a parasite free, healthy display and I don’t want to introduce anything, but after 4 weeks and no change in condition, could it just be that this is what these clowns look like? :) I’m terribly hesitant to just treat them without any idea of what I’m treating.

I tried pics but they're just orange blurs. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help,

Debbie

Percula9
10/22/2007, 01:27 PM
I would keep them in quarantine for another month. If there are no further changes then this is how they are. I think what your seeing is just simple genetic variance. In humans there is genetic variance that appeares to be pathogenic ( disease causing). It is just genetic variance not disease.

Debbie64
10/23/2007, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the reply - I figured I might as well do just that, just let them hang in the QT for a while. The water quality is good and they seem to be plenty frisky in there. :)

Thanks again.