PDA

View Full Version : Adequate filtration?

spider2928
10/21/2007, 05:25 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank with a penguin biowheel 350 (i have removed the biowheels) and a pretty decent protein skimmer. Is this enough filtration to temporarily house a volatin lionfish and a barred moray? I am planning on upgrading to a 90-125 gallon tank within a years time so I dont want to spend money on a wet/dry and then buy another one for my new tank.

MalHavoc
10/21/2007, 05:31 PM
which skimmer? I'd recommend not using wet/dry type systems anyway, since they contribute to an accumulation of nitrate. Better to go with live rock instead.

spider2928
10/21/2007, 05:44 PM
Its a D & D Marine Typhoon. I have 60lbs of live sand and 5lbs of live rock in the tank right now. I will be adding 50lbs more live rock in a few weeks.

demonsp
10/21/2007, 06:50 PM
Yea no wet dry needed but they can be used for other media besides sponges and foam filters. Also Most FOWLR tanks go bare bottom as this is alot easier to maintain.

Your filtration is fine but the penguin filter wont be needed. I use use for awile though. Good cross flow and your skimmer is the most you will need for awile. Weekly or bi-monthly water changes with RO/DI water will be the best . Just keep an eye on your readings to determine if other equipment will be needed

Oh also good move on removing the wheels , do the bars still spray and cause unwanted noise or did you see how to stop that?

loosecannon
10/22/2007, 01:20 AM
Spider-man , on a tank with those big eaters I think you will be fine if you test your water one or two days after you feed them. I would do a water change if your nitrites spike! And no gold fishes for the lion!

Shagsbeard
10/22/2007, 06:05 AM
You need to add that 50 lbs of live rock carefully. It could have quite a bit of dead stuff in it. Curing it a while would help... the LFS is going to tell you that you don't need to. I'd go with 50 lbs base rock and let the rock naturally evolve rather than add that much live rock to an established tank.

spider2928
10/23/2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the help! As far as the bars spraying with the biowheels removed keeping the cover on them stops that.

demonsp
10/23/2007, 11:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11033983#post11033983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spider2928
Thanks for all the help! As far as the bars spraying with the biowheels removed keeping the cover on them stops that.

There are two plastic plates on the bottom that direct the flow, remove them and you can remove the spray bars. :) GL