PDA

View Full Version : carbon in mesh bag

commabc
10/21/2007, 05:50 PM
i treated my tank for flat worms when i set it up before there was any fish or corals in it, so according to the directions of flat worm exit, i ran a carbon bag. i ran it for about four days i think and took it out, it was between my baffles. since i took it out its been sitting out in my laundry room for about two weeks. should i put it back in there to help clarify and filter? i'm going to add a reactor for rowaphos this week, i want to get two, but dont want to spend money either so... should i put the cargon back in there with just the filter bag? is it okay that the carbon was wet then dried, or should i replace it?

cd77
10/21/2007, 05:56 PM
Definitely replace it. It gets used up very quickly.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/carbonfaqs.htm

cd77
10/21/2007, 05:58 PM
Well, you can keep and wash the bag :)

demonsp
10/21/2007, 05:59 PM
Carbon is fine in your system . If not an added value. If the carbon is new then I would rinse real good before re-adding and it should be fine. This is a great reason for a QT tank. This would have been bad if your tank was well stocked.
Also kinda off the subject ,remove all other unwanted hitchhicker like sponges. I would remove any sponge's you spot as this guys tho reef safe can and will kill and bother other coral.

commabc
10/21/2007, 06:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11021490#post11021490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
Carbon is fine in your system . If not an added value. If the carbon is new then I would rinse real good before re-adding and it should be fine. This is a great reason for a QT tank. This would have been bad if your tank was well stocked.
Also kinda off the subject ,remove all other unwanted hitchhicker like sponges. I would remove any sponge's you spot as this guys tho reef safe can and will kill and bother other coral.
i'm not so sure i know what sponges are? anyone have any pics?

commabc
10/21/2007, 06:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11021469#post11021469 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cd77
Definitely replace it. It gets used up very quickly.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/carbonfaqs.htm
do you really think it was used up that quickly? it was only use for 3, maybe 4 days at the most.

cd77
10/21/2007, 06:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11021635#post11021635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by commabc
do you really think it was used up that quickly? it was only use for 3, maybe 4 days at the most.

Quote from the link I posted:

"I endorse the periodic use of activated carbon in most types of marine systems. It gets "used up" very quickly (minutes to hours) of being added, so I would just change it out about once a month.
Bob Fenner"

It probably won't hurt to throw it back in there, but I'm not sure how effective it will be.

From reading and various posts by veterans, I'll throw carbon in (in the same fashion as you btw) once a month for twenty-four hours, or before guests come to look. Clears up the water nicely :) Some people do run it 24/7 though, but like Fenner said, replace it once a month.

demonsp
10/21/2007, 06:25 PM
Some pics on this id site. http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

But 1 way to find out is look for any mass that is soft and has holes or opening. whene frag takin out of water these holes will close and thats a spong. Some are safe but i would buy the safe ones. Sponges come in many colors and shapes. And can grow pretty fast. Just some usefull info i wish i know up front , i was told they are safe but in my experiance , just a hasle. GL

demonsp
10/21/2007, 06:28 PM
Wow cd77 if thats true then its the first time ive heard it. I would think water condition and stock would use it faster but minutes or hours seems a waste unless in his case where you want to nuetralize a chemical.

commabc
10/21/2007, 06:28 PM
do you think it is more effective when ran through a phosban reactor then in a bag? what would happen if it wasn't rinsed enough before using for the first time? is the only reason you rinse it to get all the loose carbon out? rinse until the water isn't dark anymore? is it normal to see some black carbon in your collection cup of the skimmer, or is that b/c it wasn't rinsed enough?

cd77
10/21/2007, 06:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11021733#post11021733 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
Wow cd77 if thats true then its the first time ive heard it. I would think water condition and stock would use it faster but minutes or hours seems a waste unless in his case where you want to nuetralize a chemical.

Ok -- my disclaimer -- I'm no expert for sure. It's certainly possible that I misunderstood Fenner's response, or took it out of context.