PDA

View Full Version : Low pH due to CaCO3/CO2 Reactor

dmilne85
10/22/2007, 11:34 AM
i was looking at Farley's article on low ph because i currently run a calcium reactor and my ph is in the range between 7.7-8.01 and i want to raise the ph of my tank. in the article he mentions using limewater to raise the ph.

my question is how much limewater do i need to raise the ph of around 140 gallons of water, yet not effect the alk of the tank too much. what is a good device to use or method of doing this?

i was thinking of using a little 2.5 gallon tank i have sitting around and filling it with limewater and hooking it up to a timer with a aqualifter pump and having it turn on every so often(not sure how often). would that be a good approach? i want it to be as hassle/work free as possible, yet be a safe and wont risk overdosing limewater.

Zedar
10/22/2007, 11:46 AM
Lime water has a high pH. So you need to add it very slow.

If you add it fast you'll raise the pH of the tank water, precipitate calcium, and defeat the purpose of using it.

As to the amount? It becomes your topoff water so the more evaporation the more will be added.

If your tank is loaded with sps and your demand is high, then you wont meet those demands with Kalk alone. So you'll need to use the reactor to provide the difference.

dmilne85
10/22/2007, 12:02 PM
i should clarify i dont want to use my top off water for my method of adding kalk(although i wish i could) b/c my top off system i use is coming from a 40 gallon water storage container and that is automatically refilled by my ro/di unit when the water level drops a few inches, and i drain that storage tank and use that water twice a month for a water change.... so having limewater mixed into it would mean i can't keep it at a constant saturation level and i wouldnt be able to use that water for my water changes. the only way i could use my top off water is if i used a kalk reactor and it ran through that before going into my tank but that is $$$$$.

Zedar
10/22/2007, 12:33 PM
well then figure out how much water you evaporate daily. Then add that much saturated lime water using a drip container to make it up.

lecher
10/22/2007, 06:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11026351#post11026351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dmilne85
i should clarify i dont want to use my top off water for my method of adding kalk(although i wish i could) b/c my top off system i use is coming from a 40 gallon water storage container and that is automatically refilled by my ro/di unit when the water level drops a few inches, and i drain that storage tank and use that water twice a month for a water change.... so having limewater mixed into it would mean i can't keep it at a constant saturation level and i wouldnt be able to use that water for my water changes. the only way i could use my top off water is if i used a kalk reactor and it ran through that before going into my tank but that is $$$$$.

Can easily be done by running the top off water thru a Kalk reactor (bought or DIY).

lecher
10/22/2007, 06:52 PM
A DIY one can be cheap to make.

dmilne85
10/22/2007, 07:13 PM
im not much of a DIY'er but if someone could point me in the direction to a easy to build and safe to operate DIY kalk reactor, i would give it a shot.

bertoni
10/22/2007, 07:39 PM
You might want to look in the DIY forum. There are lots of plans in the sticky notes.

lecher
10/22/2007, 08:49 PM
The one on this page built by JustOneMoreTank is one that is simple to build.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=938048&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

dmilne85
10/22/2007, 11:03 PM
thanks for the link and reference to the stickey in the diy section, im gonna look into a few of these and maybe give it a shot

Mr31415
10/23/2007, 01:14 AM
A Tunze Kalkdispenser will work too.

Zedar
10/23/2007, 05:29 AM
Tunze = $

I believe his budget is tight