PDA

View Full Version : clam=calcium

spscrackhead
10/22/2007, 09:16 PM
i am considering purchasing a 9 inch squammy from a local who is breaking his tank down. i do not have a calcium reactor, but dose calcium to the tank and test often. now for this clam i would be willing to test and dose more often. would it be possiable? what would a clam of this size consume as far as calcium goes? i am kinda leaning towards not getting it, but i want to see what everyone has to say. oh by the way i have been sucessfully keeping a 3.5-4 inch cronc for a while now.

bassettmd
10/23/2007, 12:07 AM
I have a gigas, squamosa, derasa, and 2 croceas in a 65 gallon and I does carbonate three times a week and calcium once a week while maintaining a kalkwasser drip. All clams are doing great and are growing like mad! It is very doable in a smaller tank However I think that kalkwasser in my top off is the key to my success.

spscrackhead
10/23/2007, 05:03 PM
any other opinions?

bassettmd
10/23/2007, 11:22 PM
Just to give you more info... my gigas is 16", squam is 8", croceas and derasa are 3.5-4" each. It is very doable as long as you have the real estate in your tank or have the ability to upgrade (in my case) when it starts to near its adult size.

scubajsm
10/24/2007, 03:15 PM
I have a 8-9inch squamosa and a 4 inch derasa with lots of corals, and I dose once a week as needed. I test the CA often as I don't have a reactor, but my clams have grown like crazy. I think you would be fine, just make sure your going to have plenty of room for growth. Squammies do grow fast and large. Good luck.

spscrackhead
10/25/2007, 04:49 AM
thanks for all the helpguys

jmaneyapanda
10/25/2007, 06:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11043506#post11043506 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scubajsm
I have a 8-9inch squamosa and a 4 inch derasa with lots of corals, and I dose once a week as needed. I test the CA often as I don't have a reactor, but my clams have grown like crazy. I think you would be fine, just make sure your going to have plenty of room for growth. Squammies do grow fast and large. Good luck.

What does "once a week as needed" mean? Do you do it once a week, or as needed?

scubajsm
10/25/2007, 11:56 AM
Depends on if I did a water change. When I do a water change my CA goes back up. Sorry I didn't clarify. So when I do a water change I don't have to dose that week. HTH