PDA

View Full Version : Silicone issue

Jack04
10/22/2007, 09:30 PM
Hey, I decided to do a little build over the weekend.

I got the clear GE Silicone 1 kitchen silicone from home depot. I went home and cut the glass and siliconed it all together, checked for leaks after it dried it went great!

But when I was cleaning up trash in the shop i grabbed the tube of silicone and read "resists mildew" !!!!!
have I ruined my tank?

I also think i remember that every aquarium i ever had never had any alge on the silicone???? why is this... maybe my tank is okay.

If i give it a test run for a couple of weeks with a couple damsels or molies would this give me a good indication if life will be sustainable in the tank???

I really do not want to trash the tank, it is a 20 gal cube...

demonsp
10/22/2007, 09:37 PM
This may have micro ban or some other type of mildewcide. I would think that would be bad. But not sure. It maybe safe in the cured form after drying but i bet if you ever experiance any problems then that will always be at the front of your mind.

i looked in some other sites and didnt see any silicone that stated mildew resitant.

kau_cinta_ku
10/22/2007, 09:50 PM
if I remember correctly you want the windows and doors silicone not the kitchen and bath. I would take it all off and start over.

davidryder
10/22/2007, 11:05 PM
Don't worry about it - I used the same stuff over a year ago on a 15g sump. The better safe than sorry argument doesn't work for me as I couldn't find a single case where this stuff was ever known to do any harm.

aquarius77
10/23/2007, 12:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11030756#post11030756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
if I remember correctly you want the windows and doors silicone not the kitchen and bath. I would take it all off and start over.

I second this, you used the wrong silicone.

hahnmeister
10/23/2007, 12:43 AM
I stay clear of the GE stuff... too many additives and 'enhancements'... nothing is safe.

OTOH, Ace hardware makes a '100% silicone' under their own name... they sell it for less as well. As it turns out, a few tank makers in my area all use the stuff as well. They say its the purest stuff out there. Even comes in black.

What I would do in your case it remove all the stuff in the corners (leave the tank together)... easy enough with a razor... and then add the new stuff in the corners, making a nice fillet. This will cover up the old stuff so it wont hurt anything, but you can leave the stuff in between the panels... it will be sealed away, safe and sound as it holds the tank together.