PDA

View Full Version : Lamarck or Bellus angel clam-safe?

techreef
10/23/2007, 11:35 AM
In addition to clams, am I reading correctly that these two angels won't pick on LPS, SPS , or zoas? Please let me know if this is a "usually reef safe" fish, as I don't want to get one if it may mean chasing him all over the tank trying to remove him following a coral smorgasbord. Thanks!

jmaneyapanda
10/23/2007, 06:54 PM
should be fine. But bear in mind, there is ALWAYS an exception to the rule.

Hormigaquatica
10/23/2007, 10:50 PM
Ive never seen one pick at clams. I suppose you might get the odd individual that gets a taste for them- but I wouldnt hesitate to add one of those angels to my own tank.

ACBlinky
10/24/2007, 12:55 AM
I'd say you're safe. Genicanthus angels aren't grazers, they're planktivores, so they don't typically 'pick' like other angels. Mine won't eat anything that's not moving in the current. Even nori usually has to be in mid-water to catch her eye - she waits until the tang rips bits off, and then chomps them down as they float by.

You'll love having a swallowtail, they're absolutely beautiful fish with a ton of personality. Mine is an absolute hog at feeding time, but somehow she's also extremely ladylike and delicate; there's absolutely no mistaking it, she's all girl. I swear sometimes I can see a little pink bow on her head, but she swims so fast I'm never sure ;)

falconut
10/24/2007, 06:00 AM
About as reef safe as you can get. I've had about 5 different ones and none have ever bothered a coral. I've currently had a Blackspot for over a year and she hasn't touched anything, SPS, LPS, Clam, Softies or Zoas.

Mac Inger
10/24/2007, 06:05 AM
My Bellus female is a beauty and has model behaviour. I have a mixed reef and 4 clams.

Doc Holiday
10/24/2007, 06:39 AM
You will be fine just keep it well fed. Most Angels and Tangs that pick at corals are usually underfed or algae has started to grow on the corals and they are just attempting to get at the Algae.

techreef
10/24/2007, 07:56 AM
FINALLY! Answers to a fish question that are what I wanted to hear! Could I have finally found a fish that fits my tank situation??

Thanks for all of the responses everybody. I've just ordered a female bellus, so here's to hopefully happy sailing.

Beach Bum 70
10/24/2007, 06:51 PM
I have a pair male and female Lamarck they dont touch any of corals.Love them also have a CB and A flame.