PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Photosynthetic vs. 24 hour...

Pbrown3701
10/23/2007, 02:55 PM
I'm currently running a reverse photo period with my refugium to counteract low pH at night. My problem is partly that i'm not growing much macro in the fuge due to lack of nutrients and another part possibly due to photoperiod on the fuge.

I know that a while back many were doing 24 hour lighting on their fuge. Is this still recomended? Are there any drawbacks?

All i've got in the fuge is some LR, some green spaghetti like macro, a snail or 2, and some unsightly zoos that i was trying to keep from spreading in my main tank. Will this adversely affect anything?

My other option is up grading the lighting over the fuge...

Husky_1
10/23/2007, 03:18 PM
I can tell you that my macro always looks healthier when I run a reverse...Maybe its my imagination, but it is my observation.

twon8
10/23/2007, 03:25 PM
i run my chaeto tank light 24 hours. i have a frag tank set on reverse tanklight. i've been doing this for years

Pbrown3701
10/23/2007, 03:58 PM
I'm wondering if the chaeto will grow more by moving to 24hrs. If it's being limited by nutrient, then i wouldn't expect that it would.

I'm just trying to figure out my pH swing. It's from about 7.7 to 8.25. I already have my Kalk reactor such that it doses slowly at night, but it still can't keep up.

I also moved my air pump intake to my skimmer outside so that i'm skimming with fresh air. I live in a newly built house that does build up CO2...when i open the windows, the pH increases by about .05...