PDA

View Full Version : Problem with home made Contol cable

chrisguy
10/23/2007, 03:24 PM
I read the DC-8 manual and it states that the control cable should be limited to 10 feet. With that being said I've successfully been using 2 chords connected together via a coupler without any issues.

I decided to clean things up. In doing so, I made a single cable and ran it better from the DC-8 to the AC Jr. The pinouts are correct but for some reason the second outlet (A2 in this case) turned on without any command/reason to do so. Never had this issue with the two connected cables.

My thoughts are, maybe the ends are not "clean". My other thoughts are that maybe there is some electrical interference as the new cable runs next to the power chord going into the stand.

Any thoughts??

I am going to try to run the two connected cables the same route as the new cable and see what happens.

dougchambers
10/23/2007, 04:22 PM
Are you using twisted pair cable or the flat telephone cord? We use CAT5e twisted pair cables ~30' long and haven't had any problems.

-Doug

Giovanni
10/23/2007, 04:45 PM
Did A2 turn on once or does it keep doing it?

chrisguy
10/23/2007, 05:05 PM
dougchambers - I'm using a Cat 3 Twisted pair cable. The only main difference between the two connected cables and the twisted pair cable is it's proximity to the power going into the stand. I tried putting a magnetic filter on the cord, once by the AC Jr and once by the DC-8. It didn't seem to do anything.

Giovanni - I got everything setup last night. Within an hour A2 turned on. At that time I manually power cycled the DC-8 and the AC Jr and AC2 stayed off for at least 30 minutes before I went to bed. When I awoke AC2 was on again.

More information
I do have an off cycle for the moon lights from 2-4 am. The moon lights were on when I went to bed and on in the AM, so I am guessing that cycle worked. I also have 2 outlets power on (if Timer > 00:00 statements) and they both powered on at startup and were still on in the AM.

clp
10/24/2007, 10:04 AM
The max recommend length between the AquaController and the direct connect box is 10 feet. If you are going to use a longer cable then this be sure to use twisted pair cabling. Pins 1 & 2 should be 1 pair, and pins 3 & 4 the other pair. Many customers have made their own longer cables, and they work fine. But we can’t guarantee it operation since the cable length is out of spec.

Curt

chrisguy
10/24/2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks Curt. I may have inter mixed the two pairs. I'll check tonight.

chrisguy
10/25/2007, 12:23 PM
Opened up the cable and found that it's not twisted or shielded, so that is likely the issue. I've rerouted the coupler connected cables and will leave them as is, since they are working.

Thanks for all assistance!!