PDA

View Full Version : New Oceanrunner pump not taking PVC fittings

LobsterOfJustice
10/23/2007, 04:34 PM
I'm super ****ed. My tank has been running sumpless for about a week because my return pump crapped out on me. So I ordered a new pump, this oceanrunner 6500. The specs online said it had a 1" outlet, and my current tubing was 3/4", so I ripped all that out and replaced it with 1". The pump arrives today, and it turns out it does have a 1" outlet, but the hose adapter they include with it reduces to 3/4". So now I need to attach some PVC to the outlet, and it just wont go on. The outlet is male 1", I have a female 1" adapter, but it just wont take it. I'm not new to this, and I tried for like 10 minutes. I have another male adapter, and this female adapter fits on it, and do does the supplied hose adapter with the pump (the one that reduces to 3/4"). So by the associative property, if this female fits on the male, and another female hose adapter fits on the male and the pump, this female adapter should fit on the pump. But it just wont take it and start screwing. I've been to lowes twice today and I'm so mad this isnt running already.

LobsterOfJustice
10/23/2007, 05:12 PM
HAHA. This sucks even more. So I was trying to figure out a way to go from 3/4" tubing to 1" tubing (since aparently the only piece that fits on the output of this pump is the given adapter) but it turns out it doesnt even reduce to 3/4". So it turns out the only piece which fits on the output of this pump is a tubing insert that is too big for 3/4" but too small for 1".

I cant be the only person with this pump. I'm beginning to think its from europe or something with non standard sizings...

I'm off to lowes again, this time bringing the pump with me, to see if anything will screw onto the outlet of this thing.

LobsterOfJustice
10/23/2007, 05:29 PM
Just read the instruction booklet, says it is supposed to take 1"....

LobsterOfJustice
10/23/2007, 06:22 PM
Just got back from Lowes. There is not a single fitting in the store that fits on the output of this pump. And there is not a single kind of tubing that fits the included attachment for the output of the pump.

Conesus_Kid
10/23/2007, 06:22 PM
I had trouble getting a 1" PVC female threaded piece on to it too, but it does fit.

Just push down on it as you twist it on. She'll go eventually. I had to horse on it pretty good.

Remember: There's nothing stronger than a good crossthread! ;)

FWIW: I'm using the the pump submerged.

barngeatbayman
10/23/2007, 07:44 PM
the Ocean Runner has a metric thread on it. A standard PVS thread will not fit it. Use the hose barb with the compression fitting on a piece of flex. Or use a tap and die and put a metric thread on a piece of pipe or a fitting.

rickh
10/23/2007, 08:36 PM
Be careful. The MPT piece that you have now discovered isn't a standard size is also threaded into the pump body. I tried to use a standard 3/4" FPT adapter with Teflon tape and broke the fitting off. I got a replacement from OR, but after replacing the fitting and the ceramic shaft I junked the pump because sometimes it wouldn't restart. I still like the dreaded Mag pumps better. R

LobsterOfJustice
10/23/2007, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11038178#post11038178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rickh
Be careful. The MPT piece that you have now discovered isn't a standard size is also threaded into the pump body. I tried to use a standard 3/4" FPT adapter with Teflon tape and broke the fitting off. I got a replacement from OR, but after replacing the fitting and the ceramic shaft I junked the pump because sometimes it wouldn't restart. I still like the dreaded Mag pumps better. R

Yeah, I've broken pumps before. Thats why I wasnt going to force it. So I used the included hose adapter, and heated some 3/4" tubing with a hairdryer and stuck it on. Then used a 3/4" to 1" hose adapter to connect it to the lines I had installed over the past few days.

Conesus_Kid
10/24/2007, 06:51 PM
How is it working?

LobsterOfJustice
10/24/2007, 07:07 PM
I have it hooked up, but the pump isnt running. I need about 10 more gallons of water to turn the pump on.

Roy G. Biv
10/24/2007, 07:51 PM
For a while there I thought you were a little nutty. The first 4 posts is you talking to yourself. :)

billgraf
10/24/2007, 08:08 PM
I had the same problem with the ocean runner pumps, I wound up breaking the output fitting,
I returned the pumps and I will never buy an OR pump again.

Toddrtrex
10/24/2007, 08:41 PM
I must have gotten lucky when I got mine (( about 7 months ago )) a female threaded ( 3/4" ) fit perfectly. Good to know that it seems that things have changed.

seagirl
10/24/2007, 09:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11045546#post11045546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pmolan
For a while there I thought you were a little nutty. The first 4 posts is you talking to yourself. :)
thanks, you gave me my laugh for the day:lol: ,

MrSandman
01/20/2008, 04:43 PM
Man, it's a good thing i found this thread because i was just about to go on the same exact rant. :lol:

Anyways, i was wondering if you ever tried the Eheim tubing on this pump? Just like you i found that the 3/4" was too tight and the 1" was too loose. Figured that since this was a European pump that European tubing might be a better fit.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~EH4007940~idCategory~FIFRRPHT~category~Eheim_Hose_1.00_ inch_1.35in_(per_ft)_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Filters_Replacement_Parts_Hoses__Tubing~vendor~~tab ~1.html

RocketEngineer
01/20/2008, 07:57 PM
"talking to ones self is the only guaranteed way of having an intelligent conversation"