PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove a clown from a BTA?

DylanE
10/23/2007, 11:34 PM
So i have a Clarkii who is currently hosting to a green BTA. Basically he is just too territorial and i need to remove him and put in a perc. or something instead. However, whenever i try to remove him, he shoots into the BTA so deep i cant get him. Any ideas of how to lure him out to be netted?

reefD
10/23/2007, 11:39 PM
whats the anemone attached to?

DylanE
10/23/2007, 11:41 PM
its foot is attached deeply into a large hole in the rock. i dont think i could remove it without damaging it.

reefD
10/23/2007, 11:42 PM
okay ..next how big is the rock?

DylanE
10/23/2007, 11:45 PM
about 5-6 pounds, and the base of my reef.

reefD
10/23/2007, 11:45 PM
let me say that removing a fish in a reef can be a big time pain in the neck. and if ur not willing to do some remodleing the liklihood of getting him out gets less and less. traps can work ...but with him shooting into the anemone you already got him trapped. ...so again how big is the rock.? can it be moved?

reefD
10/23/2007, 11:49 PM
if u dont want to do this then ur success will be poor and most likly youll give up and accept him. u could try a trap. do a search...they require time and patience ..and they are not automated so you have to have timne to sit and fish.

demonsp
10/23/2007, 11:49 PM
Remove the rock if you can and you may have to scrape him out and if your lucky enough he will be like my tomato clown that didnt leave even after the rock it was on was removed from the tank. Why would you seperate them . You heartbreaker lovetaker.
hehe

DylanE
10/23/2007, 11:50 PM
ugh, haha, thats what i was afraid of. the only thing with that, is what is the likely-hood of the BTA getting injured if i remove the rock and wrestle him out? im not sure how durable they are.

reefD
10/23/2007, 11:51 PM
now that i look at the size of your tank....bro give in and just yank the rock out. it cant be too much of a deal in a 24 gallon tank!. easy as pie! youll be glad you did it.

DylanE
10/23/2007, 11:54 PM
dang it, alright im convinced. :lol: so if i remove the rock will he just plop out of the anenome and i can put the rock and the BTA back? basically my main concern is for the anenome. he's been doing great and would like to see him host a more pleasant clown.

reefD
10/23/2007, 11:54 PM
it will be fine. i work in the lfs part time. most anemones are shipped with little to no water. they are over 90 something percent water so it doesnt need water when shipped. strange but true. i guess some may be different and not as hardy but bta are considered a hardy anemones. and during the shaking proccess it should only be a minute tops...i wouldnt be worried.

ReefGirlSara
10/23/2007, 11:55 PM
got any pics of your aquapod? I'm setting one up.

DylanE
10/23/2007, 11:56 PM
alrighty, thanks for the help and wish me luck, haha. i appreciate it.

DylanE
10/23/2007, 11:57 PM
hmmm, i dont have one at the moment, or a camera for that matter. i can find one and put a picture up tommaro though if your that interested.

reefD
10/23/2007, 11:59 PM
ok heres the plan. get it out fast and once out start shaking it over a bowl or something it may take a minute but the anemones natural reaction to shrink will help push him out. next place the anemone right back in and do a water change to remove the excess slime he will create and the detrus you lift up. and thats it. try to put him in the same spot if he was doing so good there. current and lighting must be good at that position. but i wouldnt be scared in trying another spot. he should do fine if you keep you water quality and lighting/current at the original/past levels he should adapt just fine!

serum153
10/24/2007, 12:14 AM
Try to get him while he is sleeping. My is maroon is so territorial it is ridiculous. I was going to get rid of her, but realized that it is just doing it's job. I pretty much snuck up a couple hours after the lights went out with a bag and even had her in the bag, but gave in and let her be. She has been even worse since then and I get nipped everytime my hands go in the tank. :)