PDA

View Full Version : Fluidized Reactor Media

Bluesop7
10/24/2007, 06:16 AM
Im going to be getting the two little fishies reactor for my tank but am wondering if it matters if 2 or 3 different medias are used at the same time? I was planning on using Rawophos (sp?), carbon and purigen. I would think that it would be perfectly fine to put together but I dont know if having them so close together and touching eachother would have any negative affects. Any thoughts on the subject?

landlord
10/24/2007, 06:29 AM
One issue of concern would be the lifespan of any particular media in the mix. One particular media could leach while the others are doing their thing. It is inefficient in that regards.

FWIW --landlord

KDodds
10/24/2007, 06:42 AM
It's even more inefficient than that, some media can be regenerated (like Purigen), and would then have to be separated in order to do so. So, you'd be throwing that media out with the rest of the exhausted (and inexhausted) media. I'd just run the carbon and/or purigen in the path of water flow (sump if possible) and leave the reactor for phos media.

Bluesop7
10/24/2007, 07:36 AM
That makes sense. What do people usually run carbon in? I guess just a filter bag of some kind?

KDodds
10/24/2007, 09:35 AM
That's what I do. And Purigen in the little packets.