PDA

View Full Version : Does feeding affect how much is being skimmed out?

FishAreFriends2
10/24/2007, 01:08 PM
I have a 50gallon tank and I feed once aday and I dont seem to get much skimmate.
Tank has
2 clowns
1 yellow coris
1 yellow tail damsel
1 algae blenny
1 dwarf angel
1 hawk fish

And I dont get much skimmate. So does feeding affect how much skimmate you get?

seapug
10/24/2007, 01:13 PM
certain types of food (fatty/oily "quality" foods) can cause the foam head to collapse for quite a long time on certain skimmers. It also might just be that your skimmer hasn't been run in or isn't adjusted correctly. Provide some info on the make & model and you might get more help.

m2434
10/24/2007, 01:31 PM
should be getting something. What type of skimmer and what are you feeding?

FishAreFriends2
10/24/2007, 02:28 PM
I have a octopus hang on skimmer, I dont have a sump and I feed a variety of foods, once a day. The skimmer is about a 1 and a half old. When I first started to use it the first day I got half a cup of yellow skimmate and than the next cople of days I didnt get as much. Does it get affected if I feed heavier? Or something. I am not protein skimmer savy so I dont know when its working right.

JoeMomma
10/25/2007, 08:44 AM
I have the same question. I added my skimmer to my DT while its cycling. The first few days it picked up some nice yellow water but now I don't need to empty it for days. It must have skimmed out most of the nasties in the first few days.

I guess once more bioload goes in there it will start producing more crud.

fishysteve
10/25/2007, 09:58 AM
Some skimmers pull out more nastiness than others.

m2434
10/25/2007, 11:00 AM
The Octopus in-sump skimmer I have kicks but. I'm not familiar with the HOB's but I would check the settlngs, l'd say the foam head ls set too low, but it's tough to say why without seeing it.

happyface888
10/26/2007, 12:19 AM
Hmm I think that skimmers are effected by how much you feed and how high your bioload is. If you feed heavily say 3 times a day and have a high bioload I am thinking your skimmer will keep skimming nasty stuff out. but if you have a ok bioload and feed like once a day or so, you wouldnt see as much stuff collected. This is what I think. I have a hob skimmer myself. and this is from my view if I feed alot the skimmer skims alot if I dont feed alot it dones skim alot. Not sure what others will say.