PDA

View Full Version : trying to pick a skimmer

TraunerJ
10/24/2007, 04:27 PM
I am trying to pick a skimmer for my 180 reef. To preface; I was originally hoping to be able to transplant my Remora Pro, after upgrading to a mag 750 and a tall collection cup, and augment this with a lighted refugium with chaeto. Although the algae is growing, this methodology isn't working as hoped.

Now, after reviewing some of the threads on this site, it would seem the Remora was not even a good choice for my 90gal. (that tank was only at it's best when I had a flourishing Colt Coral, which I suppose was in fact sucking-up excess nutrients. In retrospect, I should've kept that coral!)

Anyway, after reviewing some of these threads, it seems as though a good value skimmer might be between an 'Octopus DNW 200' or a 'ASM G4X'. I am not considering 'Bubble Kings' and their ilk, as I don't think the bank would appreciate my skipping my mortgage payment;)

The Octopus and the ASM are priced about the same, but the ASM seems rated for more tank while the Octo is a recirculating model. Which one is better? Or is there a better choice out there that also won't break the bank? Or should I bite the bullet and trade my car in on a premium skimmer?

McCrary
10/24/2007, 04:42 PM
I would go with the Octopus as the build quality seems to be a little better and their performance is good for their price.