PDA

View Full Version : how to raise alkalinity

funnybone
10/24/2007, 07:25 PM
If my KH stays at 6, even after several adding of buffer and done a couple of water changes, what should be done ? Help, appreciated.

lilchris
10/24/2007, 07:50 PM
What are your calcium levels and mag levels?

Billybeau1
10/24/2007, 11:23 PM
[welcome]

I would first question the age and brand of the test kit.

Then consider how much buffer you are adding at what tank size.

bertoni
10/24/2007, 11:50 PM
What product is being used, and how much has been added?

Many tanks require daily dosing of calcium and alkalinity. Any testing should be done soon after dosing, because the number can change a lot (2 dKH or more) over the day.

funnybone
10/25/2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the above advices. Since 10/12/07 "Reef Builder-raises carbonate alkalinity by Seachem" had been added to my 36g reef tank. My testing kit should be fine- for I tested newly salt-mixed water to be @ 11dKH, pH=8. My calciuum level had been from 400 to 465 on10/8/07, while KH @4dH !?, pH=7.7 then.(I noticed the tank with alot of WHITE instead of red on the pipeline!) (My previous testing on 7/19 was KH=8, pH=8)

Since 10/12, every 3 days or so, another half teaspoonful of Reef Builder had been added. But I did NOT test right after dosing, as Bertoni said above. Now, today, @3:30, dosed, then on line @ 4:00 and LEARNed from Bertoni, tested and have KH @7dH. THANKS ALL!

After checking what had been added to the tank after the July testing, I realised this could be the after effects of adding 2 hard coral frags in July, a Crocea on 9/16, a Bird's nest on 9/23, plus a small orange cap frag on 10/18!! They DID change my consistant tank parameter, and caused the alkalinity drop.

MORE ADVICE is still need upon the correct use of the buffer, together with the addition of calcium which I used to add 4-5 drops daily and I add Strontinum every 4 day. Did I do right? PLEASE point out my mistakes, as I am still very new with reefing, esp. with hard corals. Do I really need DAILY DOSING of alkalinity as well?

MCsaxmaster
10/25/2007, 06:57 PM
So, what is being dosed for calcium? Yes, many tanks need daily dosing of calcium and alkalinity, and some may even need more frequent dosing.

cj

bertoni
10/25/2007, 11:04 PM
With a Tridacnid clam in the tank, I suspect daily alkalinity dosing will be required. A 2-part like B-Ionic or similar products might be a good way to get started. There's also a DIY version.