PDA

View Full Version : ive got nudis

bundy13
10/24/2007, 07:37 PM
got a bunch of nudis on my zoas ,to be honest ive been so caught up with my sps corals that i haven't been inspecting them ,good thing is i have all my zoas, all isolated to a few rocks,
so i will be pulling the rocks and dipping them,

i was told by a friend with a dedicated zoa tank to do this that it has worked for him does it sound ok

30 min.dip in flatworm exit 2 drops per gallon
10 min dip ,lugols
1 min fresh ro/di dip in the end
plus inspect try to manually remove as many as possible,also try to get as many eggs as i can,

repeat in 4-5 days, my friend swears by this ,

sound ok?

MUCHO REEF
10/24/2007, 08:12 PM
In my opinion, even if they do survive, that is a very harsh dipping period. 40 minutes in fresh water is VERY stressful. Also, you can safely use 4 or 5 drops of Lugols per gallon. If you had a lot of zoa rocks, waiting 4 or 5 days affords a lot of time for eggs to hatch, yielding 30, 40 plus possible new juvi nudis to deal with. The osmosis shock alone will kill most everything on the rock. You can safely perform 3 minute dips every other day, being very careful not to dip any P. Grandis. Much success to you, I hope you can eradicate them and save your zoas.

Mucho Reef

bundy13
10/24/2007, 08:35 PM
the 30 min. dip in flatworm exit is a SW dip
so is the lugols dip also SW

the FW dip will be a min or two

thanks,anything else you would recommend
thanks for your time

also you would recommend everyother day?

twon8
10/24/2007, 08:59 PM
according to borneman garlic will kill nudi's, monti eating ones, so i suspect it will kill zoa nudi's as well, haven't tried it myself, but it is worth mentioning

bundy13
10/24/2007, 09:01 PM
Il try a little garlic too in the mix ,any idea on the ratio,thanks

Lytehouse
10/24/2007, 09:05 PM
Mucho,

Am I completely mistaken, can't the lugols and flatworm exit be combined into one dip?

Also, wouldn't there still be a big chance of nudi's in the tank? Would a coris wrasse, or the like, be a good idea at this point for security?

MUCHO REEF
10/25/2007, 04:56 AM
Yes, they can be combine, I've done so for years, works just great for me.

Yes, just transferring zoa rocks alone won't truly solve the nudi infestation. Nudis migrate daily. Even before they finish off a colony or frag, they will wonder over to other rocks,lay eggs, then come back to the original rock. Nudis are prone to leave egg sacks on flat surfaces, glass, the side or crown of a polyps, on a flat surface of a rock etc. You must treat the tank as well as the rocks that are in quarantine. Just my opinion.

I'e heard the coris does a good job on nudis.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1167318

Mucho

bundy13
10/25/2007, 08:26 PM