PDA

View Full Version : Cowfish..anyone have any experience with one?

michaeltwana
10/25/2007, 12:50 PM
Hello everyone....I was thinking of getting a cowfish either as a sole fish in my tank or with other fish. I know of their size requirements and that they are venomous we are fine with these aspects. but how are they to keep as far as difficulty? What fish would make good tank mates? Please talk from experience only not just what you might have read..not trying to offend anyone.

michael

ahullsb
10/25/2007, 02:38 PM
I don't know too much about them. I think you have to make sure they are getting their fair share of food, against other quicker fish. I've also heard that when they die they can leach quite of bit into your tank.

winnermc
10/25/2007, 03:22 PM
michaeltwana: I don't have have alot of experience with cowfish but I know they are toxic to the entire tank when they die. Also, they feed on invertebrates, so they're not suitable for reef tanks.

kydsexy
10/25/2007, 03:39 PM
rule 1: this is a fish for an expert. if you're not an expert then it's not for you.

its imperative that you do not add any fish that might stress him out, as he is poisonous not venomous. he'll secrete this toxin in the water and kill everything.

lancer99
10/25/2007, 04:10 PM
Rule #2: Ignore rule #1 :)

I don't really think you have to be an expert.....

I had a small cowfish in a 29g with a pyjama cardinal and a barred goby for a couple of years. They all got along fine. As ahullsb mentioned, the only issue was at feeding time, making sure the cowfish got enough to eat, since the other two were faster eaters.

So I think you are okay, as long as the cowfish's tankmates are peaceful & non-aggressive.

-R

kydsexy
10/25/2007, 04:36 PM
highly agreed lancer. but remember this Rule #3, lol, any store that offers a 14 or 21 day guarantee on fish will not offer it on a cowfish. Can anyone guess the reason? because any stress such as a friend tapping on the glass can make him secrete his toxin. just be sure to have your acclimating skills up to par and eliminate all possible stress