PDA

View Full Version : How Bad are Bristle Worms?

spanglish
10/25/2007, 04:55 PM
So, in addition to Hair algae (almost under control),
and flatworms (still untreated) I have discovered a few
(maybe 4) prett good sized bristle worms (about 3").

I seem to remember that they used to be considered
terrible and that maybe common wisdom was that they
weren't that big a problem.

Well, which is it:confused: :confused:

Is this a flat tire or a nuclear disaster?:eek2:

acrodave
10/25/2007, 05:00 PM
Out of the 100 or so kind of bristleworms only a few are bad. Most are very beneficial for your tank they eat left over food and any thing that dies. They get a bad rap for eating live things this is not true.Only dead thing will they eat.Oh and dont touch them

uscharalph
10/25/2007, 05:05 PM
I just don't like the big ones.

Sk8r
10/25/2007, 05:09 PM
They're good guys. I had some 10" ers of the oenone variety, which is supposed by some not to be so good---but they were troopers: saved my bacon when I had a big smelly snail demise under the rockwork: clean by morning. Nothing can clean the holes and crevices of your rockwork better, and they will not harm [cannot harm] your corals. Occasionally fish that bite them will get a faceful, but this does them no great harm, and will fall off after a couple of days.
Wear gloves when moving rock in your tank: simple latex, found at your supermarket, is a good thing, easy on your corals and on your worms and keeps you un-stung.
If you do get nailed, white vinegar and hot water will ease the pain.

Justin James
10/25/2007, 05:09 PM
I love em. They are fantastic for your tank. "Save the bristle worms"!!!

Just because they don't feel nice on the skin doesn't mean they are bad. If your concerned about populations going threw the roof then add a sixline wrasse and/or a coral banded shrimp. The coral banded will take care of the big ones.

yellowwatchmen
10/25/2007, 05:10 PM
They are good for cleaning the sand. I would only remove one if it got really big.

m2434
10/25/2007, 05:17 PM
I just remove them when they get big, I look at it as a form of nutrient removal.

ihopss
10/25/2007, 05:24 PM
Save the worms!

spanglish
10/25/2007, 09:05 PM
:D

Yeah, I have worms!

Never thought I'd say that. I'm very pleased that I can
leave them alone. I enjoy watching them when I feed.

masonicman
10/26/2007, 09:58 AM
I had a big one. about 10" long that attcked my clam. I put a trap in the tank and caught it in two nights. Hopefully my wrasses take care of the little ones

Frick-n-Frags
10/26/2007, 10:08 AM
they don't like BB tanks so much, neither do FW's. Besides I only get those little 3 banded ones and a couple FW's here and there so I ignore them all.

regarding the big behemoths: good or bad, I for one care less for them [read: flat out disgusting :D], and do not care to have them in my reef.

ACBlinky
10/26/2007, 10:09 AM
I've never had the displeasure of seeing one of the nasty ones in my tank, only the standard half pink half grey cleaner-upper types. I'm fine with them in all sizes - they provide my CBS with the occasional meal, get into all the nooks and crannies (and the sand) that other critters can't reach, and take care of anything like crabs or snails that happens to die unnoticed. I did once touch a large worm by accident (that's what I get for not putting on gloves), and said several unpleasant words that day - these guys are best looked at, not handled! :)

surfjeepzx
10/26/2007, 01:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11056925#post11056925 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masonicman
I had a big one. about 10" long that attcked my clam. I put a trap in the tank and caught it in two nights. Hopefully my wrasses take care of the little ones

What bait did you use?

loosecannon
10/27/2007, 12:55 PM
Wroms are good for a reef tank.