PDA

View Full Version : phosphate question

deepbelow
10/25/2007, 07:33 PM
I have been battling alge for a long time now. I have been running rowa in my reactor with Black diamond carbon also. I have noticed that some of the "turf" like alge is starting to turn white and other colors like it is receding. Lately alot of hair like alges are starting to flourish in my tank. Could phosphate be leaching out of my rocks? if so, is there anything i can do about it?
thanks for any info

B

cutegecko3
10/25/2007, 09:47 PM
yes live rock absorbs nitrate and phosphate.thats where most of the denitrification takes place.after using GFO for about two months in my tank all the phosphate had finaly leached out.but ofcourse it didnt show on my test kit because bryopsis was using it up as fast as it leached out.after all of it was leached out the bryopsis died.but how long it takes varies on how much phosphate is there to absorb,how much live rock their is,and how porus the rock is.

demonsp
10/26/2007, 01:17 AM
What is the water source ?

JR719
10/26/2007, 01:30 AM
Water source plays a big part, but not all. I've been using RO/DI for years, although, I still get the stuff. Chemicals won't get it all, sorry.

If you remove the algae, by hand.... Do frequent water changes, and don't have a heavy bio load, you'll get it under control. Under control, but not gone.

Something you might consider is the type of algae that is causing the most problem. Then find something that will eat it, and add to your display.

If worst comes to worst, you might look at "cooking" your rock. That will get rid of it, but you really need to find the problem so it does not return.