PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank for tang, what size?

Jimds
10/25/2007, 08:42 PM
I am getting a powder blue tang tomorrow. It is a medium 3 - 4 inches big.

I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank, will it be big enough for it for a couple of weeks?.

I would think that it might get stressed out being in 10 gal.

poppin_fresh
10/25/2007, 09:38 PM
I personally wouldn't put a PBT in a 10g. I have had terrible luck with tangs in small QTs. I have lost a couple Hippos in QT very quickly, but I have had much better luck adding them to the DT. Your experience may differ.

SlowCobra
10/25/2007, 10:57 PM
10g for a tang, unless the tang is about 1inch big is WAY too small. Tangs are open water swimmers and also like to feel secure with their surroundings. Unfortunately this means a decent size tank and the use of rock(preferably base rock)

I have an ich outbreak right now. My QT tanks consist of a 90 gal for 4 tangs and 2 clowns and a 20L for 2 Anthias, a flame angel, and 4 chromis.

A QT requires a bit of time, money, and dedication to make it work. I preach QT constantly and unfortunately I am a hypocrite. I failed to heed my own advice and it bit me in the ***. Now I am paying for it.

Jimds
10/27/2007, 09:45 AM
thanks,

I ended up getting a 20 g long and I think it should be good enough.

ricks
10/27/2007, 10:18 AM
How long do you plan on keeping a 4" Tang in a 20gallon???

What type of filtration are you going to run? A Tang that large will have quite a bioload. Or are you planning not to feed it with in QT?

Myself I would not put a large Tank in any small tank. Your 150 Gallon would be the smallest, and I think they need at least 6' .

I put all mine right into my 500, I also have ozone and UV but only run when needed.

Happy Reefing

Jimds
10/27/2007, 07:07 PM
I have a 14day guarantee on it so I will keep it in qt at least that long.

I have a hang on but I will be also doing water changes in that period.

The tang 3-4 inches and is by no means a large one considering how big they get.

I can tell you that most people don't have 150g to use for quarantine tanks for their new tangs. Most people that do guarantee have used smaller tanks successfully.

Since I prefer to buy my fish online I would not feel comfortable putting a tang especially a pbt in the main tank right away after shipping.

reefergeorge
10/27/2007, 07:28 PM
You will be fine with a 20l. I would not put the fish in your display for at least six weeks.

REEF-n-Chicago
10/27/2007, 08:58 PM
Agree on the 20 long. I would love a 150 QT but.... :) anyhow I had my powderblue in one and he is doing grrrreat.

Python73
10/27/2007, 09:23 PM
How long do you plan on keeping a 4" Tang in a 20gallon???[/B]

So, um... unless you scooped your tangs from the ocean yourself, let me give you an idea of the places they lived in before you got them:

- in a tub or bucket of varying size on a boat with a zillion other fish
- in a bucket waiting for the collector to sell to the shipper
- in a bag for 24-48 hours from the shipper to the importer
- in a box in that same bag until the importer pulls it out to tank it
- in a 5-20g holding tank with 0-50 other fish of the same size for days until sold
- in a 5-30g holding tank in the LFS until someone buys it

At no point did any tang anyone has ever bought chill out in 150g luxury before reaching its final owner, with the rare exception of a LFS that hucked a few tangs into a show tank then decided to sell them.

Let me put this soapy box away... there we go. Now, a QT tank need only be big enough to have decent water quality during the fishes stay there. Sure, it would probably rather have 55g to roam in, but then again, it would probably rather be back in the sea. QT that you have >>>>>>> QT you don't have room for.

S !

krowleey
10/27/2007, 10:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11063378#post11063378 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ricks

Myself I would not put a large Tank in any small tank. Your 150 Gallon would be the smallest, and I think they need at least 6' .

I put all mine right into my 500, I also have ozone and UV but only run when needed.

Happy Reefing

well thats because you cant put a larger tank into a smaller one. and i think they need much much more than 6', but if that makes you feel like your doing the fish a favor, then by all means live in your bathroom and then preach away :eek2: ;)

i guess you may think my 90 gallon 4' is too small for a tang too...well it is, just like any enclosed system is, but im going to add another int here next week :rollface: