PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon stocking

imrandy85
10/26/2007, 12:43 AM
I've been thinking about starting a 55 gallon FOWLR tank with a 30 gallon sump. I have zero experience with saltwater aquariums but I've had freshwater setups for a while now. I've been trying to read/listen to a lot of information. I'm not really looking to set this thing up right now but more trying to learn a little bit more. This is the stocking I came up with. Are these fish compatible? Is there anything special I should know about them? Do I have room for more or should I cut back on something?

lol forgot to post my list, getting it now

here it is:

1 flame angel Centropyge loricula
2 firefish Nemateleotris magnifica
1 yellow tang Zebrasoma flavescens
1 lawnmower blenny Salarias fasciatus
1 royal gramma Gramma loreto

demonsp
10/26/2007, 12:44 AM
IMO FOWLR would work much bigger in a larger tank. Most of the FO fish can get large. You would only have 2 mb 3 fish. As a reef you can get 5 or 6 plus many coral.

imrandy85
10/26/2007, 12:58 AM
The only reason I was thinking FOWLR was because I thought I could get some experience that way and upgrade the lighting later on when I want to get corals. I figured trying to jump into reef right away would be a little harder.

demonsp
10/26/2007, 01:09 AM
You can get a beutifull reef tank with good PC lighting. The higher whatts the better.All soft and many other coral do fine with this light. And the fish dont mind the light at all but dont look as colorful as they would under MH or T-5. You could go FOWLR but will be boreing.

The most important thing with reef tanks are researching the whl setup before you start buying. From size ( 55 good beginner size ) to LR to substrate to lighting and type of stock and coral. This is what makes it seem alot easier then most say.
Its what you know not can i have a completely stocked reef in 3 months. Which usaully fails unless you have the funds to bail yourself out.

AquaReeferMan
10/26/2007, 01:19 AM
That list looks good minus the Tang. A 55g is too small for any tang. I kept 4 fish in my 55g. Take the Tang off your list and add a pair of clowns. Run it fowlr until you get into a groove. Then when you are ready add some coral.

imrandy85
10/29/2007, 11:20 PM
Yeah, from the places I looked at I saw different opinions on the tang. Some said no smaller than 55 and others said larger than that. Should I only keep one blenny in this size tank?

demonsp
10/29/2007, 11:23 PM
I think he works better in a reef tank but with enough LR he should survive.

imrandy85
10/30/2007, 07:54 AM
I think he works better in a reef tank but with enough LR he should survive.

the tang?

kevin2000
10/30/2007, 10:11 AM
My 02

The overall number of fish is probably at max for that size tank. The tang needs a larger tank and I would scratch that from the list.

papagimp
10/30/2007, 10:16 AM
agree with kevin, the only other concern I'd have is the flame angel and gramma (both have the potential to be territorial/aggressive) and then the two little timid firefish. I'd make sure you have a good 'lid' on the tank, like some light diffuser to keep them from jumping out if/when the gramma and flameangel try to chase em around. Not neccessarily going to happen, but watch for it nonetheless.

imrandy85
10/30/2007, 11:30 PM
if I scratch the tang for a pair of clowns what would be a good species to get?

imrandy85
11/01/2007, 08:18 AM
another thing I'm worried about is when I upgrade to a reef tank won't the flame angel nip at the corals? is there another hearty dwarf angel that would be more reef safe?