PDA

View Full Version : Starting My Nano

sktr021
10/26/2007, 10:23 PM
okay so im starting my new reef tank tomorrow.the problem is that i have got 2 options.i can go with a 20 gal. tall.or a 20 gal. long.im not sure what would be best.
currently i have the following items for the tank.
1)Penguin 350 bio-wheel filter.
2)Instant Ocean Saltwater Mix.
3)Bag of Crushed Coral.
4)powerhead
5)100 watt heater that i used in f.w tank previously.
can anyone suggest some cheap lighting options-d.i.y maybe.
any suggestions greatly appreciated:D

stagger19
10/26/2007, 10:50 PM
First, U dont want the Bio-wheel's on a salt water tank. The wheels are great for fresh water, but are a nitrate trap for marine tanks. You can still run the filter if u wanted too, but dont use the wheels.

I dont think the crushed coral is a good substrate either, too much debris can get down under it and its hard to remove it later, most will use a sand or barebottom, but I prefer the sand looks wise.

I have a 20 high for my salt tank. I think that would work better since its taller for the rock work, and since its 2 ft long, its easier to get lighting options.

The best light upgrade is to order a bright kit from ahsupply, and convert your current 2 ft light to a 55W 50/50 light. Its pretty easy to do and the instructions are well written.

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

sktr021
10/26/2007, 11:05 PM
im sorry.i do have crushed coral but it is in the sand form i guess.i got the biowheel thing from a friend.said that it works great hes had his for a year or so..i guess i will try it out.thanks for the link.