PDA

View Full Version : sps and reeflux 12k

markandkristen
10/27/2007, 12:03 AM
i switched from 20k xms to reeflux 12ks . i believe this has caused my frags to bleach. i have checked my parimeter and they seem in check. it looks like my tips are bleaching on some.

so what do you do put screens over my tank. reduce lighting or just leave it and let the corals recover. i thought they would be around the same spectrum giving all the blue they produce.

gioNVA
10/27/2007, 12:26 AM
Whenever I change lighting, I reduce the photo period and then slowly go back to the normal lighting schedule within a week or so.

What ballast are you using with the xm and with the reeflux? Are they 400w?

nava405
10/27/2007, 01:53 AM
i believe reeflux 12k is lower par than xm 20k...IMO, after i look up on the Sanjay's reef lighting website, i think the reeflux 12k is probalby one of the worst bulb ...it's really low par on 250watt.

markandkristen
10/27/2007, 07:23 AM
thats what i thought on par.

a friend of mine ran these reeflux's on a hqi for a week (he hated them and gave me a good deal on them)

im running them on a m58 ballast
never a flicker or problem with firing them.

thanks guys for the responses.

i am just baffled. i cant tell if its the bulbs or what?

i havent changed anything.

im running all the stuff im supposed to.

markandkristen
10/27/2007, 07:58 AM
im wondering if i have "burnt the coral" (not sure if that the correct terminology)

slojmn
10/27/2007, 08:29 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Have you checked your alk levels? You probably have but just a thought. On one of my tanks I run the Reeflux 12k SE 250w bulbs on an electronic ballast and I love it. It is definately giving off plenty of light. I imagine you must be running the DE version??
When I put new bulbs in I always decrease the photo period by a couple of hours and raise the lights 6-10". Each week I add an hour back and drop an inch or two. Another good method when you can't raise your lights is to get window screen material at Home Crappo and put 4-5 layers over the tank between the lights and corals and remove a layer every week, gradually letting in more light. You may want to back off on the light by cutting the photo period down and see if your corals start to recover. If not it may point to some other culprit as the problem. I hope things recover for you.

markandkristen
10/27/2007, 08:34 AM
i think i am going to try the window screen today and see what happens. my corals have never looked like this. i guess im kinda mad i should have just left well enough alone. LOL :)

markandkristen
10/27/2007, 12:17 PM
ok i checked my parimeters its around 8.5 dkh
calcium 340 -going to bring that up

twon8
10/27/2007, 12:58 PM
what test kit are you using?

markandkristen
10/27/2007, 01:03 PM
salifert. i have three different ones.. this is one of the old ones.