PDA

View Full Version : Sunpod balast help

murraycamp
10/27/2007, 07:05 AM
I am looking at upgrading to the 2x250w HQI Sunpod for my 55 gal. I talked with Marine Depot, and they said that this unit uses an electronic ballast, while the website says its magnetic. Does anyone know which is right?

Also, can you upgrade the ballast on these units? I know the ballast is external, but I would like to switch to a PFO magnetic if possible.

Thanks!

murraycamp
10/27/2007, 04:45 PM
bump

DarG
10/27/2007, 04:56 PM
As far as I know, they use external Magnetic ballasts. In fact, I have heard that Current USA stated that they used external Magnetic ballasts on their 250 watt halide fixtures because they were not able to source a reliable 250 watt electronic. Clearly that is bunk, they are readily available. I believe the reason is, that they use SunPark electronic ballasts, which arent bad, but Sunpark does not make a 250 watt electronic ballast as far as I know. They do use Electronic ballasts for the 150 watt models (Sunpark).

Anyway, unless they have changed recently, they are magnetic HQI ballasts. But as I say, it is possible they changed recently. I would email or call Current USA and make sure they are still Magnetic on the new models.

murraycamp
10/28/2007, 11:11 AM
Thanks!

Toddrtrex
10/28/2007, 12:06 PM
Yea, the 250 watt versions have an external mag ballast.

Here is a picture of mine for my single 250 version, has a built in fan.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/ballast2.jpg