PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer: In sump vs. external?

got2lb
10/27/2007, 10:30 AM
So which one is more efficient? In sump or external

I was really wanting to go with an external skimmer so I can run half of the return water straight to it and then T off the other half right into the fuge.

Unfortunately it's going to cost a lot more money in order to be able to do that.

This will be setup on a roughly 200 gal. system with a light to moderate load. Maybe more eventually.

Here's kind of what I'm thinking options wise:

External: Octopus DDNW-250 Recirculating
http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1015

Internal: ATI Bubblemaster 200
http://www.reefgeek.com/product/Bubble_Master_200_Protein_Skimmer_by_ATI

Which would be the best way to go?

got2lb
10/27/2007, 07:23 PM
bump

sjm817
10/28/2007, 06:49 AM
I dont like running raw tank water through the fuge. You wind up with a lot of detritus and a big pile of muck. IME, it is better to first filter the water via mechanical, skimmer filtration, then send it to the fuge. There is still enough nutrients left to "feed" it.

got2lb
10/28/2007, 10:15 AM
It won't really be "raw" water. I am going to have a filter sock on it before it gets to the fuge.

So you think the ATI In sump would be a better choice?

mr. pluto
10/28/2007, 10:48 AM
ati, 1 pump < 40 watts , ddnw, 3 if using feed pump ,130 + - watts + feed pump
ati -1100 lph air
ddnw- 720 lph air. not modified.
my experence is w/ the rps 3000 single pump
& a ati 250. i like them both, but the ati is more silent & cooler than the rps3000. of couse the ati skims better, can not
compare the two. no plumbing or pipes req'd for the ati.

Chibils
10/28/2007, 10:51 AM
I vote in-sump, mostly because HOB models are mostly targeted toward people new to the hobby. There's more diversity in in-sump models than in HOB models, so you can get what you're looking for, plus there are more high-quality brands/makes/etc. in the in-sump category.

But either can work just fine.

got2lb
10/28/2007, 11:48 AM
mr. pluto -Thanks for the info very informative too! :thumbsup:

Originally posted</a> by Chibils
I vote in-sump, mostly because HOB models are mostly targeted toward people new to the hobby. There's more diversity in in-sump models than in HOB models, so you can get what you're looking for, plus there are more high-quality brands/makes/etc. in the in-sump category.

But either can work just fine.

I'm far from new to this hobby and I'm def. not looking for a HOB skimmer. Maybe you should click on the links to the skimmers I'm talking about! :rolleye1:

USC-fan
10/28/2007, 05:53 PM
Well with an in-sump you really need a constant water level. I don't really care for insump skimmers....

Recir NW skimmer is what I prefer to run. Like you said you can feed it the "dirtiest" water in your tank from the overfows. You can also control the rate you skim without hurting the skimmer performance. So you have a lot more control over the dwell time.

Also you can run it external if you like but i run my recir NW in my sump.

For a budget recir NW i would go with a DAS over the Octopus unless you plan to mod it. For about the same $$$ you can get the DAS ex-3 which is a lot better skimmer.

sjm817
10/28/2007, 06:04 PM
A constant sump level is extremely easy to accomplish. A single baffle is all you need to do that. All the water in the sump comes from the overflows. What comes down the pipe is the same regardless of the skimmer type. You do have to pay a little more attention to sump design/skimmer placement with an in sump skimmer to get the best results.

got2lb
10/28/2007, 06:37 PM
The constant level in the area that it will be in will not be a problem. It will remain constant at all times. The reason I wanted to run it external is so I have a little more room for a bigger fuge.

sjm817
10/28/2007, 08:04 PM
That is a good reason to run it external. A fuge has to be decent size to do any real good.

got2lb
10/28/2007, 09:15 PM
I was wanting to use an entire 40 gal. breeder for the fuge. I'll have to see how much room I have and see if I can't squeeze a bigger tank in there somewhere.

I do like the idea of the energy savings of the BM. I'm trying to plan this system around energy savings so that's def. a plus!