PDA

View Full Version : Established mixed reef tank needs to be temporarily moved...

wizzbane15
10/27/2007, 11:08 AM
Well, it has been a while since I have posted a thread, but I have a new dilemma and I could use some advice. Here goes...

I have a 125 fully stocked mixed reef tank and I am going to be having the floors in my house replaced, because my tank sprung a leak a while back and ruined my laminate flooring, in a couple of weeks. It is going to be a minimum of 10 days between when the tank has to be completely moved out of my house until it can be re-setup.

Here is what I have:

-125 glass tank, dual overflows.
-proclear 300 sump with proclear 150 in-sump skimmer.
-lifeguard double chemical module, filled with Kent Phosguard and fluidized bed filter.
-2 precision marine 14" reverse flow filters, one filled with 500+ ml of Seachem Purigen, the other with Boyd's ChemiPure and TLF phosban.
-custom made mud refugium
-150 lbs LR, about 150 lbs LS(no DSB since my LS is only about 2")

As for Livestock, here is an approx list:
-2 good size yellow tangs(1 is about 4", other is about 6")
-3 blue hippo tangs (3-3.5")
-1 Tomini tang (4")
-2 Clarkii clowns (4")
-1 singapore angel (2.5")
-1 purple firefish (3")
-1 pink spotted watchman goby (4")
-1 diamond watchman (3")
-1 orange spotted watchman (1.5")
-1 solar wrasse (2.5")
-1 six line wrasse (2.5")
-2 bicolor chromis (1")
-6 green chromis
-4 lyretail chromis
-1 mated pair coral banded shrimp
-2 cleaner shrimp
-2 harlequin stars
-1 giant green brittle star
-1 bubble coral, white
-1 green alveopora
-1 purple goniopora
-1 devils hand soft coral
-1 porites worm rock
-1 short tentical plate coral
-1 green frilly mushroom rock with 6 mushrooms
-1 prurple mushroom
-1 xenia in about 6 diggerent pieces
-2 kenya tree
-1 gigantic purple condy
-1 white condy w/ purple tips
-atleast 50 blue leg hermits
-about 15-20 astrea snails
-who knows how many other assorted snails and such
-1 sand shifting cucumber the size of a hot dog bun

Alright, I'm pretty sure that is most of the stuff in my tank. Based on that, I am in search of ideas about hot to move my tank for a short time. I will be able to use my garage to set up temporary storage. If anyone hase ideas or what has worked or not worked for them, I would love to hear them.

I will try to put some pic's up soon too.

Thanks all, cheers!

falconut
01/29/2008, 06:55 AM
You could setup another tank in another room (if you have another tank and place for it). I would use as much of the water from the current tank and just move the rock and everything right over. I don't think that would restart a cycle and it should be OK. When the floor is done, just do the same. Just my opinion, maybe others can suggest something.

Capt_Cully
01/29/2008, 07:44 AM
I agree. You could get one of those agricultural rubbermaid bins. They run about $1 a gallon. I'd mix some new saltwater in it 25-30gal, Then I'd add as much of your own tank water to it, as you can. They you could move your rocks, coral, and fish to the temp system. It would be unlikely that you would cause a cycle.

Be careful when you stir up you sand bed. I'd scrap the sand. Save a little to seed some new sand when you set your tank back up. This will also save you from creating a sand storm in your holding tank that might choke things up.

Depending on how long it's set up, place powerheads, skimmer etc on it. And you could also hang a light, again, depending on how long it's going to be up.

Sk8r
01/29/2008, 07:49 AM
It might---might be possible, if you can maneuver it and have a destination, to rock it very gently onto big flat glides and actually move the whole tank: on carpet, my 54 wedge can be moved by two determined women---very slowly, but steadily. It would also move on secure laminate. The glides come from Lowe's.

Capt_Cully
01/29/2008, 08:24 AM
Sk8r, I think Augustus and St. Murphy might have something to say about sliding a 125 around :)

crzy_pig
01/29/2008, 08:38 AM
i agree with Sk8r
I moved a 150 (no sump) the same way.
Moved it across the room then back when the floors were completed!

Capt_Cully
01/29/2008, 08:44 AM
I was just making a wise crack. With MY luck, it would be a disaster. Kudos if you guys pulled it off. I don't think I'd have the guts to try it. No disrespect intended. :thumbsup:

Sk8r
01/29/2008, 09:09 AM
Lol!
It's an adventure!
If you just stand there and tug/shove gently, something like collective unison breathing, you can get it started moving: the more you can coordinate your attack, the more likely it is to move...we didn't even slosh much. We're talking glacial speed.

But, Cully, your 180 with a 90 sump is getting up there in the No Way! weight.