PDA

View Full Version : Elos All-In-One

Canadian
10/27/2007, 02:46 PM
If Elos made an all-in-one nano do you think it would look something like this? :)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? ;)

I just completed re-finishing my stand and thought I'd take some pics. Hoping to get some LR cooking in here within the next month. I'm waiting on a new tank to replace this one - same dimensions (24 x 24 x 18) just with 3/8" glass instead of the 1/4" pictured. The builder decided to rebuild my tank after I expressed concerns about the integrity of the joints.

Still trying to decide what pendant MH I'll light the tank with. Right now I'm thinking a simple AquaMedic OceanLight 250W.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147Left_View.jpg

CamBarr
10/27/2007, 04:02 PM
sweet tank do you have any pics of the filtration

Diver Dan SD
10/27/2007, 04:26 PM
That looks like an elos to me!!! Great job!

Canadian
10/27/2007, 04:40 PM
CamBarr,

I'll flip the stand around and take some pics of the compartments I glued into the false wall.

Here's the tank that was the inspiration
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147Elos_at_Interzoo_2006_resized.jpg

BlakDuc
10/27/2007, 05:23 PM
I am not so sure about the stand though. Does it match the decor of your house? It kinda looks like something that shoud be sitting next to a hot dog stand. Does elos make hot dog stands? Just kidding of course, The tank looks awesome!

Canadian
10/27/2007, 05:33 PM
I guess Elos makes hot dog stands - you can see one in the picture above from InterZoo 2006 ;)

But yes, the red is the accent color in our place so it maintains the "flow". Additionally, the red is a sheet of acrylic that is attached to the front door panel with super-adhesive double-sided tape so it can be removed and replaced with another color quite easily. I was just sick and tired of seeing the weak and boring typical black stand or oak stained stand. I think this stand is more modern and contemporary.

Rue
10/27/2007, 08:06 PM
...geez...and I'd give anything for a nice oak stand...lol...

...instead I have basic black...

Nice mod!

fisheebill
10/27/2007, 08:13 PM
Awesome!
Can't wait to see this tank running!

CamBarr
10/28/2007, 03:30 PM
any pics of the filtration and back compartments?

boozeman
10/28/2007, 03:52 PM
very nice effort

InsaneClownFish
10/28/2007, 04:08 PM
Canadian, very nice job. Nice clean lines. Elos indeed.

deacon hemp
10/28/2007, 05:01 PM
Candian....I live in vancouver too and was wondering where u got this tank built as im looking for the exact same thing?

Canadian
10/28/2007, 06:11 PM
CamBarr,

Here's a pic from the back - not much to look at. The skimmer compartment was made for the Tunze 9002 skimmer. The MJ 900 return pump is plumbed into a bulkhead with a Hydor rotating return on the display side (I had a MJ 1200 for this but the flow was more than I wanted going over the 4" overflow so I'll use the 1200 as the ATO pump). Circulation will be my 2 modified Tunze Nanostream 6025's at 1200 gph each. The tubing coming up the back is the return from the ATO reservoir. The small high baffle on the right is a place to hang float switches and provide support for the false wall.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147Right_Rear_Cap.jpg

deacon hemp,

I bought the tank from OceanAquatics. I just ordered a custom rimless, braceless cube made by SeaStar. Then I did the acrylic work and made the false wall, baffles, and cap. I'll be getting rid of this tank though because one of the front joints looked sketchy. It held water for 1 week but I couldn't comfortably leave the house without worrying about it. So SeaStar is apparently making me a new tank with 3/8" glass instead of 1/4". I'll just cut the false wall out and put it in the new tank.

deacon hemp
10/28/2007, 06:14 PM
Awesome man thanks,Wendell will hook me up with the details....How much was it if u dont mind me asking and did u go for starfire glass?

CamBarr
11/03/2007, 10:20 PM
how did you make the cap???

Canadian
11/03/2007, 10:47 PM
CamBarr,

All acrylic is 1/4" cast.

I cut and glued the false wall (drilled the hole for the bulkhead and used a router to notch out the overflow).

For the cap I cut it to size, clamped it with a 2" overhang, heated the overhanging portion with a heat gun and bent it. I then cut and glued the side pieces into the cap.

Water Box
11/04/2007, 09:51 AM
very nice clean look

CamBarr
11/04/2007, 12:33 PM
Can you post a close up so i can understand the work a little bit better! When does the new tank come in?

Goongs
11/09/2007, 02:40 AM
Another beautiful rimless tank. Definitely something to think about. Very nice job.:eek1:

Canadian
12/03/2007, 12:09 PM
Quick update:

Hung the pendant (still waiting for the T5 ballast replacement)

Cleaned sand

Started filling with RO/DI

Here's a quick pic of poor quality. I'll take more when I get home from work this evening.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147Front_View_Update.jpg

fisheebill
12/04/2007, 09:56 PM
Looks nice!

reefman13
12/04/2007, 11:11 PM
Looks sweet! Another build thread starting up;)

chriis716
12/05/2007, 07:22 PM
wow!!!! tank is amazing

CamBarr
12/08/2007, 04:46 AM
any updates? rock yet?

Canadian
12/08/2007, 09:02 PM
CamBarr,

I'm still waiting for my T5 ballast replacement - it's now bordering on irritating and I'm getting frustrated with Xenia, the Giesemann distributor.

I added 25lbs of Tonga and Fiji LR. I drilled the rock to put 1/4" acrylic rod in between pieces to get some flat pieces to create ledges that wouldn't otherwise balance out.

I also put PVC columns under the bottom pieces of LR to keep them off the sand.

I'm not happy with the aquascaping because the ledges slant away from the front and towards the back. I'm likely going to pull everything out again to make sure the ledges slope towards the front so that corals will be better displayed.

With all the screwing around in the tank it's quite cloudy right now and there's a lot of sediment all over everything in the tank. If it clears up enough tomorrow I'll post some pics.

And I'll also be asking for suggestions for aquascaping and positioning of my modded 6025s. Right now the flow from the 6025s is pushing the sand around and I'm worried that any SPS I eventually add are going to get blasted and ticked off. I'm hoping the sand will settle down once it is covered in a biofilm.

Canadian
12/09/2007, 03:43 PM
Alright here's a quick pic before I tear things apart again in a minute. The flash washed things out and I didn't want to take the time to set up on a tripod when I'm going to be in there destroying things again. The resolution is also bad because I had to compress it so the image didn't exceed RCs 125Kb limit.

I'm running the skimmer quite wet right now while things cure. I have to say that the Tunze Nano 9002 DOC skimmer does an impressive job for a cheap little skimmer as long as it's set up in between baffles to maintain a constant water level, and it's raised above the water line drawn on the skimmer and the air is cranked open.

I just came home from the hardware store with some marine epoxy. I'm going to pull the rock out and use some 1/4" acrylic like doweling to epoxy the rocks together. I'm also going to epoxy some acrylic tripods into the bottom rocks to keep the rock elevated above the sand. I'm a little concerned about the weight of the rock (probably only 20 lbs max) resting on 3x1/4" points on the bottom 3/8" glass so I'm going to epoxy high density foam (foam practice golf balls have worked wonderfully on the other things I've glued it to in order to keep vibrations down) on the bottom of the acrylic as well. Anyone see any problems with this?

And aquascaping and powerhead placement suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/147New_Front.jpg

ronreef
01/22/2008, 10:41 PM
Excellent tank. Funny... almost the exact tank I've been looking to do. I've been meaning to do a higher volume all-in-one type tank such as yours. Looking to use the Tunze 9002 as well. Looks like I've found the inspiration for my next tank. I've always wondered how to design the back chamber...

Would you do design the back chamber any differently now that you've had it up and running for some time? Does the water level in the back chamber stay consistent for the Tunze to operate properly?

Again, I must say that your tank is very nice and must be an inspiration for others.

CamBarr
01/23/2008, 12:04 AM
andrew can you please post a pic of the acrylic cap that you made for the back. please ha ha im begging you

Canadian
01/23/2008, 12:12 AM
Cam,

I'll try to make sure I get a pic tomorrow evening. I've been really busy with the move and taking over at the new clinic. The cap is nothing special.

I actually preferred the old cap I built which was heated and bent (the new one is cut and glued). But when I had the tank rebuilt with 3/8" glass (the old one was 1/4") the old cap wouldn't fit so I had to build this new one and I didn't have the patience to heat and bend another one.

CamBarr
01/23/2008, 12:23 AM
Im just trying to understand how it sits on the glass and creates that seamless clean look ha ha Thanks andrew for getting the pics

cam

GSMguy
05/21/2008, 01:30 PM
i think a single rock structure would work better having two small islands is kind of distracting.

tank looks great.

ooja3k
05/23/2008, 09:22 PM
Wow, diggin up an "oldish" thread!

Any updates???

I kinda like the 2 island look...

kc350twin
05/23/2008, 10:28 PM
I second that. This build makes me want to copy this tank. especially after the New Mini Elos dimensions are not what I want. Update please..........

KC3