View Full Version : Leaky refugium

agent007
10/27/2007, 03:02 PM
I just bought a custom sump. It has three sections:
1> input from tank/protein skimmer
2> Refugium
3> Return

Water flows from section 1 to section 3. The Refugium is raised ever so
slightly - approx 1/8" to allow a passive flow to the return section. The leak is at the base wall (seam) of the refugium. It leaks through to the 1/8" passive flow area. Right now the leak is not bad but I figure with time it will get worse.

Do you think that will be problem? Do you know what I can pick up from
Home Depot or LFS to patch the leak?

Now just to be clear: the sump itself it water tight. It's just the refugium
section that leaks into the passive flow area.

Thanks in advance.

cd77
10/27/2007, 03:46 PM
Aquarium silicone sealant adheres to both glass and acrylic I do believe.

Personally I patch everything up with duct tape! :)

agent007
10/27/2007, 06:35 PM
OK, just picked up some Aquarium silicone sealant. It is the "All Glass Aquarium" brand but the LFS said it should also work for my acrylic sump.
I'm drying out the sump now and will apply later tonight. Unfortunately I need to wait 48 hours before it's fully cured :(

I have some duct tape on hand if it doesn't work ;)
Thanks

agent007
10/27/2007, 06:35 PM
OK, just picked up some Aquarium silicone sealant. It is the "All Glass Aquarium" brand but the LFS said it should also work for my acrylic sump.
I'm drying out the sump now and will apply later tonight. Unfortunately I need to wait 48 hours before it's fully cured :(

I have some duct tape on had if it doesn't work ;)
Thanks

cd77
10/27/2007, 06:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11065652#post11065652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by agent007
I have some duct tape on had if it doesn't work ;)
Thanks ;)

Once you've drained it and have it dried out, you might want to make a closer inspection just in case there is anything else that needs a little patch work :)