PDA

View Full Version : LR ?s

bluegrizzlies1
10/28/2007, 10:09 AM
Im going to order LR online where is a good place to buy it.

And what do you suggest for how many days in transit should I overnight it 2 days 5 days.

Just looking for the best advice here.

Illuminati
10/28/2007, 10:20 AM
I would go to www.marcorocks.com and buy a small box of the dry figi. It is dry and will stink to high heck but add that to your tank along with maybe 5# of live rock from either an LFS or someplace like Premium Aquatics and the live rock will turn the dry rock live over time.

Illuminati
10/28/2007, 10:20 AM
Also list your location, maybe there is a vendor in your area we can direct you towards.

bluegrizzlies1
10/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Im in utah 2 hrs away from salt lake city and 5 hrs away from st george

kawicivic
10/28/2007, 10:27 AM
the marco rocks is a good choice... I am probably going to pick some up to use in the future. If you do buy live rock, more than likely you will not have any options on shipping. Some of the best looking live rock I have seen comes from Tampa Bay Saltwater but they are expensive and include many pests. Also see if you have a local club... some people may have some extra live rock in their sump which would be great... established rock at good prices usually.

deadfishy
10/28/2007, 03:40 PM
Totally Premium Aquatics...got 35# of Kaelini a few weeks ago, shipped overnight via SouthWest air cargo for pretty cheap. Most alive rock I've ever seen, no bad smell at all. Had a couple hitchhiker snails, 5 coral heads, a ton of varied good macroalgaes (including maidens cup), featherdusters, a nudibranch, a small clam. Beautiful varied coraline algae, from purple, maroon, red, orange, green. Highly recommend.

herostar
10/28/2007, 10:41 PM
I got rocks from www.sealifeinc.net and love them. They're harvested from his "rock garden" off the Florida coast and shipped to you the same day they're pulled from the ocean. Lots of cool live stuff on them!

fishorcutbait
10/29/2007, 05:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11072885#post11072885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herostar
I got rocks from www.sealifeinc.net and love them. They're harvested from his "rock garden" off the Florida coast and shipped to you the same day they're pulled from the ocean. Lots of cool live stuff on them!

did you get their "cured" or "uncured" rocks? How long before your aquarium settled down after you put the rock in?
thanks

phenom5
10/29/2007, 10:05 AM
Im going to order LR online where is a good place to buy it.

And what do you suggest for how many days in transit should I overnight it 2 days 5 days.

Just looking for the best advice here.

if your looking to get some LR for cheap, i would start with a local reef club/ craigslist/ the local paper. see if you can find someone in your area that's breaking down their tank.

as for ordering online, premium aquatics is great. i've ordered all of my LR from them, and always had a great experience. my suggestion would be their nano LR. if you email them, or talk with someone on their sites live chat, you can find out what's available. i recently order some nano LR, and got some Marshall Island nano rock. the quality of the LR is really top notch, and the customer service is great. i spoke with them about what i wanted to do with my aquascape and they were very helpful in terms of making sure the rock they sent me fit with what i was trying to do. another great thing about PA, you can order the exact amount of LR you need...you can order 1lb if you want (not very cost effective :D ).

IMO there's no need to go with base rock in a nano, but i guess that's all relative to what you want to spend.

hope this helps. :thumbsup:

herostar
10/29/2007, 10:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11073628#post11073628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishorcutbait
did you get their "cured" or "uncured" rocks? How long before your aquarium settled down after you put the rock in?
thanks

I bought the uncured. It took about 12 days before ammonia/nitrite were gone, and maybe 2-3 more before nitrate was low enough. That being said... the rock arrived the morning after my 21st b-day so it sat on my front porch for a couple hours (2) until I woke up... oops!

zack85
10/29/2007, 12:10 PM
I like the rock at MarineCenter.com - it looks expensive at first, but you get more than other places and its free shipping