PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Goby ok with a Mandarin?

NeveSSL
10/28/2007, 02:09 PM
Hi all!

I am thinking about getting a Diamond Goby, but I also want a mandarin a bit later down the road.

Will the goby fight the mandarin or anything or should they be compatible?

Also, I don't think they'll compete for food, will they?

Thanks!

Brandon

ahullsb
10/28/2007, 02:37 PM
They shouldn't fight, but they will compete for food. I think you should choose one or the other.

assassinco97
10/28/2007, 04:14 PM
One or the other is best...To eliminate the competition. Since you have to choos I would pick the diamond goby as it's antics will keep you laughing. Just make sure your rock is firmly on the bottom of your tank as the tunneling habits of the diamond goby can lead to rockslides

Shagsbeard
10/28/2007, 04:34 PM
Go with the goby... much easier and active fish. The mandrines are pretty, but far less active.

If you go goby, make sure there's no chance of escape. Mine got out and I still have no idea how.

NeveSSL
10/28/2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys...

I have a lot of small frags on my sand, so I'm not sure if I want a diamond goby in that regard, but they do sound (and seem at the petstore) to be quite interesting. :)

Will there be a problem having nassarious snails with a diamond goby?

Thanks!

Brandon

Surferlopez
10/28/2007, 11:25 PM
no problem with your snails, eventhough I would not recommend a mandarin in a tank smaller than 100 gallons, most of them will not go for prepared food thus starving to death once they deplete the natural amphipod/copepod population..

assassinco97
10/29/2007, 10:24 AM
The goby is also a great way to keep your sand bed free of food as his sifting habits usually keeps food from settling. The mandarins get boring after awhile.....but the gobies keep ya laughing...especially if you get a real digger

NeveSSL
10/29/2007, 10:28 AM
I'm a little afraid to get a goby for the tunneling... my rocks were added after sand, although on egg crate. I've got a feeling that could cause some problems, however entertaining it may be... :D

Brandon