PDA

View Full Version : Bubble coral...Do you feed yours?

redspot321
10/28/2007, 06:22 PM
Do bubble corals need to be feed?

What do you feed yours?

InADream
10/28/2007, 07:21 PM
I have had my bubble coral for over 3 months and once a week I shoot some cyclopeeze into the bubbles... At night they have feelers that extend to catch food particles...

Dream

jjmcat
10/28/2007, 07:23 PM
I fed mine fresh shrimp.He got to big for the tank I had at the time so it was off to the lfs for some store credit.

nmywrx
10/28/2007, 07:24 PM
I have had mine for a couple of months and I haven't feed it a thing. So far it is doing fine.

ACBlinky
10/28/2007, 08:45 PM
I had one that went from fist-sized to nearly a foot across when fully inflated in about a year - he was a monster! I fed him regularly, and he took anything from silversides to shrimp, even flakes and pellets. He even stung, killed, and attempted to eat a medium-sized cleaner shrimp that walked across his bubbles. I'm a fan of feeding LPS corals - they have large mouths and eager feeding responses for a reason.

cloak
10/29/2007, 01:31 AM
Sometimes. It's burning up my hammer without regular feeding as is.

demonsp
10/29/2007, 02:04 AM
Depends on size. A good idea is adding micro-plankton weekly and target feeding ( with turkey baster type device ) or cyclops or brine. Remeber to turn skimmer off a few hours while feeding. Also lighting and placement very helpful.

reefer4sho
10/29/2007, 02:29 AM
i dont feed mine directly nor do i feed any of my other corals and they all look fine for over a year now on fish food alone.

driftin
10/29/2007, 07:46 AM
My bubble loves to be spot fed. I only do it once every few weeks; it's in a place it manages to catch some food during normal tank feedings.

nmywrx
10/29/2007, 09:15 AM
Sometime I think people get over eager to see how big and fast their corals can grow. I would not feed it based on its appetite. If that were the case my fish and chocolate lab would eat themselves to death.

I think your goal of feeding should be based on keeping it healthy and happy, not making it grow as large as possible as quick as possible.

Just some food for thought.

skeeter-doc
10/29/2007, 09:42 AM
i fed mine and it did wonderfully. i fed it thawed food cubes like prime reef and brine shrimp plus etc.

LeslieP
10/29/2007, 09:44 AM
I've had mine for ~3 years and have never target-fed it. It does get some pieces of frozen food when I feed my fish and it has more than tripled in size. I have a small and crowded 55 and I don't need it growing any faster than it does because I would hate to have to get rid of it because it was too big.