PDA

View Full Version : Sump right behind Display?

CyboRob
10/28/2007, 07:40 PM
Been thinking about setting up a sump behind my display tank (40gallon breeder). It's the only place it can go.

Would this work or does the sump tank have to be under the display tank?

I have a 20 gallon long I am not using.

spleify
10/28/2007, 08:06 PM
You can put the sump two states over from you, as long as you can get water to and from the display.
So to answer you're question, yes. Put it behind the tank, you will be happy you have the extra water volume.

shyland83
10/28/2007, 08:32 PM
the problem is you need gravity to move the water from the display to the sump, so it needs to be at least a little lower

CyboRob
10/28/2007, 09:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11072093#post11072093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shyland83
the problem is you need gravity to move the water from the display to the sump, so it needs to be at least a little lower

Very good that's what I was thinking but wanted to double check. The 20 gallon long is about 5 inches lower than the breeder.

Thanks

ob1thx1138
10/28/2007, 10:22 PM
Actually you van have the sump and tank on the same elevation. You just cant have the sump above the tank unless you are going to pump to the sump and drain back to the tank. The bottom of my sump actually sits about 4 inches above the bottom of my tank, but since water finds its own level the sump works fine. The water overflows from the tank through 2 U tubes and dumps right into my sump where I have a return pump to return it to the tank.