PDA

View Full Version : 2 problems...

NWBRADSHAW
10/28/2007, 08:45 PM
I just found my largest snail wedged between 2 rocks. I don't know exactly how long he was there. He was pulled all the way up into his shell. I pulled him out and set him on a flat rock. He hasn't moved in 6 hours. Is he dead? Can I do anything for him?

Also, I have been hearing a small "crack" sound. Like something is being hit against the glass. Any ideas?

cd77
10/28/2007, 09:02 PM
My newbie hunches:

1. Probably. Most (of my) snails when placed against a glass surface will fairly quickly try to attach themselves to it, or at least show some movement.

2. Maybe a mantis shrimp?

BangkokMatt
10/28/2007, 09:03 PM
If the snail doesn't move over night I would get him out. It will smell real bad if it has died, just a warning.
The cracking sound is most likely a pistol shrimp in your tank.

NWBRADSHAW
10/28/2007, 09:27 PM
ok, pretty sure it has died then. I will get him out of there.

Mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp. Any way to figure it out? I haven't seen anything at all.

What should I do?

cd77
10/28/2007, 09:29 PM
The teacher 3 with years of experience vs. my 3 months says it is most likely a Pistol, so I guess you should go with that.

Piscator
10/28/2007, 09:35 PM
Could definitely be a Mantis, which is trouble. Look up some pics online.

When the lights go out, put a small piece of meaty food (shrimp, krill, etc) in an accessible corner. Have a flashlight and net handy. Get him out.

Best wishes,

kathainbowen
10/28/2007, 09:35 PM
Definitely, if the snail has not moved by tomorrow, it is dead and needs to be removed (cover your nose, because dead snails smell god awful!)

The cracking sound could be either a pistol shrimp or a mantis shrimp. I would recommend letting turning off you tank lights one evening and waiting for a few hours. Then, once everything has been good and dark for a while, more of your nocturnal species will come out to feed and play. Take a flash light and shine it into the tank. You can often catch these nocturnal or shy species off guard to catch a glimpse of them for id (you'd be surprised what you can find!) This way you can see if it's a pistol or a mantis.

If it's a mantis, get it out now! Mantis shrimp will prey upon crabs, snails, and fish with almost precise hunting skills. They're well adapted to taken on what would seem like too large of prey with their clubs or spears (an incredible thing to watch, I will admit). This is often a very unhappy thing in a display tank, as mantis shrimp don't care whether they're preying upon your prized small fish and rare inverts, or the common mexican turbo snail. That, and mantis shrimp get the rather unsavory name "thumbsplitters" from their knack of whacking the fingers of unsuspecting divers and keepers with a powerful and painful blow. This all means, though, that, in their own tank, mantis shrimp can be really cool pets. So, either you can have a really awesome pet if you do the right research and set-up for it, or you can pass it along to a mantis-shrimp-enthusiast.

If it's a pistol shrimp, you can do one of a few things. If the tank is in a location where the popping is going to drive you insane (like your bedroom), i would remove it. Otherwise, you can just leave it in the tank. Or, if you really interested in their unique, symbiotic relationship with shrimp gobies, and you have the capabilities for caring for one, you can add a shrimp goby in the hopes that they'll pair up.

Hope that answers your questions! Happy reefkeeping and welcome to the hobby!

jmarti705
10/28/2007, 09:36 PM
Ya, dead most likely and they are smelly

NWBRADSHAW
10/28/2007, 09:38 PM
I will give that a shot later this week Piscator. What should i do with him once he is out? I don't have another tank, and don't know anyone with a tank around Boise Idaho.

NWBRADSHAW
10/28/2007, 09:56 PM
Missed the other 2 posts while I was typing. Thanks for the info. I will see what I can find with the lights out. I don't really think I want to set up for a mantis shrimp.