PDA

View Full Version : bumble bee shrimp

young_Skywalker
10/29/2007, 12:40 AM
has anyone had much experience with these shrimp? I just got my first pair and was wondering if there were any special foods they ate or anything (haven't found much info on the net)

dendro982
10/29/2007, 07:33 AM
Don'y have them, but always thought, that bumblebee shrimp is freshwater, was glad to find, that there could be one more colorful addition to our tanks link (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22bumble+bee+shrimp%22+reef&btnG=Search&meta=) , but you already had seen that.

Nice shrimp!

LeslieH
10/29/2007, 09:46 AM
They usually feed on echinoderms by snipping off their tube feet. They can live without that and will scavenge instead. Give them chunks of meat to supplement their diet.

philter4
10/29/2007, 11:51 AM
I have collected and kept them many times, I read that they do feed on echinoderm feet, but I have never seen one on or near any star or urchin. The ones I kept ate frozen foods well, but I hardly ever saw them out from their cover. I usually see them in pairs and when I collect them I keep them that way, not sure how territorial they are, but you don't find more then a pair under any one rock.

young_Skywalker
10/30/2007, 01:51 AM
I've been keeping an eye on mine, the only info I ever find on the net seems to be very typical shrimp info (copy and pasted it seems). I've noticed that they are nocturnal and seem to just generally scavenge for food. however, one of my shrimp every night for about an hour or so before I go to bed finds one of my snails and just rides around on his shell. It's kind of odd but quite amusing

young_Skywalker
11/01/2007, 01:55 AM
well I just found one of mine dead and being devoured by the still living bumble bee...I'm guessing he didn't kill the other one but he sure did seem to enjoy it

iamwhatiam52
11/01/2007, 11:07 AM
Tried them several times.

Cute, interesting.

They hide a lot.
One of mine killed another the moment I put them both n the tank.
One did hang out with an urchin for a time.
None of mine have lasted over six months.

young_Skywalker
11/02/2007, 09:22 PM
really?!? well that sounds hopeful

LeslieH
11/03/2007, 08:26 AM
When you see two shrimp together in the wild they're usually a mated pair. Males will kill other males, females will kill other females if they're paired up in a tank.