PDA

View Full Version : Adding Chaeto to new system

comstona42
10/29/2007, 08:12 AM
I have a new system (40g display, 10g sump, 10g refugium) that has been cycling for about 1 week. I will be adding chaeto to the refugium on tuesday and am wondering if can expect to see a shift in water parameters. Also, I havent added a sand bed to the refugium yet, should I add this asap ? - Thanks

danch
10/29/2007, 08:28 AM
I'd add the sand bed sooner rather than later. You probably won't see much shift in the water parameters after adding the chaeto. It will use some ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, but as you cycle those will be shifting anyway, so it'll be hard to say that any change is directly due to the chaeto.

Piscator
10/29/2007, 09:26 AM
Personally I would add the chaeto after the cycle is done. I would add the sand bed ASAP, and would have it in place before the chaeto. Also, a few chunks of LR rubble down there is great for pod growth and added filtration.

Best wishes,

saltysupply
10/29/2007, 09:30 AM
add the sand bed asap...I would wait till the end of the cycle to add cheato

kaihonu82
10/29/2007, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11074515#post11074515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Piscator
Personally I would add the chaeto after the cycle is done. I would add the sand bed ASAP, and would have it in place before the chaeto. Also, a few chunks of LR rubble down there is great for pod growth and added filtration

+1
only a week into the cycle? what are your current tank parameters? I'd hold off on the chaeto until after the cycle is done, but put the sand and LR in now

good luck!

comstona42
10/30/2007, 12:12 AM
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. Ive already order the chaeto so Im sorta stuck on putting that in when it arrives tuesday unfortunatly.
Taking the advise you folks were kind enough to provide Ive added 20lbs of LS to the refugium.

Im a bit concerned as to my water testing params since it doesnt appear to be very exact given it is measured by a color chart (maybe this is the standard and I just lack experience....not sure since im new here) My tank params as I have measured them are

nitrite .005
nitrate is in the middle of the 2.5 to 12.5 range
ammonia is on the low end of .25
alk is in the 2.8 to 3 range
ph is 8.4

Seem norm for 1 week into cycle ?

I think my setup is ok'ish for a healthy reef

filterguys OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
euroreef rs80 in 10g sump
ehiem 1260 return pump w/ WavySea hooked up to return line
2 X korilla #2
24" Aqualight Pro, 1x250W HQI + 2x65W CF + 2x1W LED
12" Aqualight-Double Linear PC 2 18 watt 50/50 for refugium lighting

If I'd had more background before buying I would spent a bit more time considering lighting options....but i think im ok for now.

any reccomendations appreciated on new tank setup.

Thanks

cloak
10/30/2007, 12:39 AM
Don't use carbon for color.

;)

demonsp
10/30/2007, 01:05 AM
Dont trust the readings during a cycle but monitor so you know whene the cycle is over. As sson as cycle is over and readings stay stable then do a 25% water change and come back and thread cycle done whats next. Slow and easy is always the best.

comstona42
11/01/2007, 06:10 PM
thanks for the info everyone.

cloak - "Don't use carbon for color."
i dont follow ?