PDA

View Full Version : not sure - Puffer ?

speedo2wet
10/29/2007, 10:15 AM
I have a guinefowl puffer and his belly is a littly big at the moment but continues to rest and sit infront of the over flow. Should I be worried?

300 gallon fowlr

LisaD
10/29/2007, 11:53 AM
puffers can get constipated. really. how long have you had it? is the behavior unusual for this fish? how is your water quality? puffers can be sensitive to nitrates.

wshive
10/29/2007, 06:54 PM
Puffers can get constipated? How can you tell? My dog-face has a strangely bulging belly occassionally. I couldn't figure out what it was until i saw him "pooing" all this sand, which I'm presuming he ingests when picking up food from the substrate. Is this a potential way they can get consitpated?

reefergeorge
10/29/2007, 07:42 PM
Puffers like to sit and kind of get puffer massages from ph and overflows. I wouldn't worry as long and he is eating well and feed a variety of foods.

Absint Reefer
10/29/2007, 10:34 PM
mine will lay right on the rocks and snooze for awhile then wake up and take a huge dookie bomb and he'll be fine until next time when things don't come out so good

speedo2wet
11/01/2007, 06:19 AM
Thats good to hear, I did place some de-nitrate in the water column to help. He does eat very well. I do see him laying in the air bubble column with a hugh belly and sitting next to the overflow. His color will change untill he takes a hugh dookie as ABSINT REEFER has stated. lol.

stdreb27
11/01/2007, 09:21 AM
what is really gross is watching the other fish dive bomb the puffer's poo looking for food.

luv951
11/01/2007, 03:54 PM
What are you guys feeding your puffers?

I do a mix of seafood from the grocery store and Nori (all blended together and frozen). My puffer never drops a huge stinky loaf :eek1: ...but he does poop sand all the time. I know that its not from picking food off the bottom since he devours the food while its still floating. I just figured that they pooped sand. When I was less knowledgable in the nineties and fed live fish and cocktail shrimp, he would poop a solid nug. but not since switching to my real seafood cocktail.

OK, this is kinda funny at this point :lol:

BTW my puffer has always taken lazy breaks - he likes to hide in two cave type structures I have made with my LR, but he always keeps one eye out, scanning the tank and my fam.
Perks up in the evening when we all get home.

stdreb27
11/01/2007, 04:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11098163#post11098163 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luv951
What are you guys feeding your puffers?

I do a mix of seafood from the grocery store and Nori (all blended together and frozen). My puffer never drops a huge stinky loaf :eek1: ...but he does poop sand all the time. I know that its not from picking food off the bottom since he devours the food while its still floating. I just figured that they pooped sand. When I was less knowledgable in the nineties and fed live fish and cocktail shrimp, he would poop a solid nug. but not since switching to my real seafood cocktail.

OK, this is kinda funny at this point :lol:

BTW my puffer has always taken lazy breaks - he likes to hide in two cave type structures I have made with my LR, but he always keeps one eye out, scanning the tank and my fam.
Perks up in the evening when we all get home.

He gets a fresh oysters, and some frozen home made fish food. He'll drop a massive loaf.

JJ21
11/01/2007, 05:26 PM
I'm lmao :lol:

luv951
11/01/2007, 05:37 PM
like, really a loaf? Seriously here....is it like a log or kinda scattered bits of poop?

Wonder why mine only seems to poop sand. I have fed clams and oysters as well, but never gotten solid duke out of him.

Maybe hes shy and only poops at night when no one is around?

reefergeorge
11/01/2007, 06:56 PM
My porc only had the um, loaf when I was overfeeding. Since then I cut back feeding and all seems normal. I feed mussels, clams, whole shrimp, krill, crab legs, silver sides, and he recently started eating fomula two cubes.

luv951
11/01/2007, 07:24 PM
OK, so how often do you feed. I feed my guy about four times a week. Twice with my frozen blend (pretty much like yours) and twice with just Nori.

What about others, how often do you feed?

speedo2wet
11/02/2007, 02:54 PM
Ohhh well. Since I try and feed my angel three times a week then the puffer gets to eat three times a week too.