PDA

View Full Version : New Lighting Suggesstions

spanglish
10/29/2007, 11:39 AM
My Nova Extreme t5 fixture is acting up and while
I may fix it, I may replace it.

I keep softies but might want to keep some clams
and/or sps.

I've seen these new LED fixtures that are 2400 plus.
Any suggestions for an upgrade?:D

NewMariner
10/29/2007, 12:04 PM
Id go with Teks...they are the best bang for the buck!

cd77
10/29/2007, 12:22 PM
Replace it -- I've never cared for my Nova Extreme. I prefer many PC lighting fixtures over it. Go with something that has individual bulb reflectors if you're sticking with T5. An IceCap setup would be cool. As far as price/performance goes with all-in-one fixtures, I like Aquactinic -- The Solar Flare and Constellations are nice. I'm not completely positive, but I don't think the Tek fixtures are actively cooled, so you may need to add a fan or three..

spanglish
10/29/2007, 01:11 PM
I'm reading about solar flare and constellation. Why is the
solar flare more expensive for less bulbs? Any opinions
on which is better fixture?

spanglish
10/29/2007, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking of going with the 7 bulb fixture and they
have numerous options for actinic bulbs.
Any suggestions?

cd77
10/29/2007, 02:12 PM
The Solar Flare uses 54W bulbs overdriven to 85W using IceCap ballasts (or that is what I'm to understand anyhow). I think they go for about $100 more, but you can take of $20 or so for a good bulb (since there are only six in the Flare) .. I went with the Constellation mostly because I like it's sleek look. Adding an extra bulb also allows me to play around with different bulb configurations, and you can buy risers for it (not sure about the flare) so you don't have to hang it.

I'm sure the Solar Flare is the better fixture of the two :)

spanglish
10/29/2007, 02:38 PM
I was leaning toward the constellation for the configuration
options as well.

What bulbs are you currently using?

cd77
10/29/2007, 03:22 PM
Heh.. It arrives tomorrow, there was a very long delay. I think the company is recovering from a recent recall. I even went with another company to get the risers (they had them in stock) otherwise I'd be looking at a two week wait, so nothing is installed, but here are the bulbs I picked up for starters to play with:

2x ATI-54W ATI 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
2x ATI-54W-S ATI 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
2x ATI-54W-P ATI 54W Pro Color T5 HO Fluorescent
2x UV-F54T5/03 UV Lighting 48" 54w T5 Super Blue Actinic Lamp

I purchased through premiumaquatics.com

spanglish
10/29/2007, 06:53 PM
I recently ordered a controller for my hydrotech pump
from them and it is "backordered".

I would love a pic once its up and running.

Sounds like alot of blue (that might be sharp)
Which of your eight bulbs will you leave out to start?

cd77
10/29/2007, 07:24 PM
Most of my choices came from FijiBlue's beautiful tank. A couple of those 'blue' bulbs put out a lot more white compared to a typical actinic. Either way, it should be interesting. I enjoy experimenting! :) Check out this thread, it's definitely worth it. I'm not sure which I'll leave out -- but I promised I'd post pics when the new fixture is up so I'll be sure to post it in the thread I'm linking to at the bottom of this post. Everything should come in tomorrow.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1220131

I think Fiji runs a Tek fixture BTW -- you'll notice he's got a 4-fan fixture mounted on his tank for active cooling. Either way, it's certainly stunning with all of the bulbs on!

Also -- not sure if I mentioned this, but I'm doing this to migrate away from softies, mushrooms, and zoas to an SPS dominated biotope. I'm not sure my tank is quite mature enough for it, but that is the end goal :)

Definitely check out that thread!

Also, this is the thread I originally posted requesting lighting recommendations (I was initially considering the Tek as well) jamesdawson made some good points and got me doing some more research which is why I ended up with the Constellation:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10971197

spanglish
10/29/2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks,

That's what I love about RC, you just saved me weeks of research
as James Dawson helped you.

Now I just have to convince my wife that WE need a new fixture!

gsxunv04
10/31/2007, 12:13 PM
in that thread linked to the guy with six bulb tek fixture, he had no white light, just purple, green, and pink. maybe it just looked like this but i am looking for the best 4 bulb configuration for a t5 fixture and can agree with going with no actinincs but i was thinking i needed 10000k spectrum. what do you guys think would be the best 4 bulb t5 config. to keep sps?