PDA

View Full Version : clean up crew

derge
10/29/2007, 01:28 PM
i 4 red leg hermits and will be getting more tomorrow for my 29 gallon i was wondering how many im going to need tomorrow i will get 3 more it seams that 2 of mine like to ide in the sand do they do this alot?

when they went in on saterday they cleaned all day then the did not to much at all at the moment one of them is out and about and the others are just chillin is this normal?

same goes for my five snails.

SUPERHERO2943
10/29/2007, 01:53 PM
We all know that opinions are like A holes, everyone has one and they all stink, but my opinion is a snail and a crab per gallon of water depending on how much algae you have for them to feed on. You wouldn't want to starve em. Or if you have alot of algae you may want more.

boozerell
10/29/2007, 03:22 PM
I haven't been in saltwater for long, so take this for what it's worth. I have hermit crabs in my tank and have seen them be very active, then hang out in the hole in the live rock. I've not seen them messing around much in the sand. I think it's normal that their activity goes in cycles, but just my opinion.

bertoni
10/29/2007, 03:39 PM
I don't keep any hermit crabs because I got tired of the predation. The tank doesn't need any, but they are fun to watch.

foodstamp
10/29/2007, 03:49 PM
i went with 1/2 hermit and 1 snail per gallon from the recearch i did that was about avg.
from what i have seen both go in sperts of being active even for a new tank there was/is plenty for them both to eat ( liverock)and i have not seen any algee bloom and im at about 30 days..
for the first week i did drop in a lil flake food just incase.