PDA

View Full Version : Is this brook?

steelerguy
10/30/2007, 08:29 PM
I am sure this has been asked before but before I diagnose I thought I would get a second (and maybe more) opinions.

I ordered a couple clown fish, a hawkfish, and a wrasse for my tank. All fish ate the night I got them and the clowns were out and about swimming around looking healthy. I noticed one had a small patch of white on him but I just thought it was some sort of abrasion form shipping.

That was Saturday and now on Tuesday he is not looking so hot, not eating, and the white patch has expanded all over his body. It almost looked like a top layer of skin was peeling off but it looks like it is mucous production. The other clown started to show symptoms on Monday and is a lot worse today but is still swimming around and eating.

Try as I might I could not get a really good picture of either fish, they just move around so much. Here is the best picture I could manage, it is of the fish still acting healthy.

http://www.oreycay.com/aquarium/clown_brook.jpg

I think it is brook but just want to make sure. I rushed to Petco before they closed tonight hoping to get some Formalin 3 but they didn't have it and now everything else is closed. Is it too late? I sure hope I can save them!

Second, should you be mad at a company if you received a fish with brook and then had the second on get it a couple days later?

Freed
10/30/2007, 08:33 PM
Looks like velvet anyway. The only way you could be mad at them and make it stick so they gave you a refund or exchange would be to prove to them that you put them in QT instead of directly into your fish tank that already had fish in it. They could pull that excuse on you.

reefman13
10/30/2007, 08:55 PM
Nothing good, that can be assured. What would have been best, would have been to buy the Formalin medication, but now that you know they are out, I would highly recomend using a copper medication. Here is a great site on how to treat with copper and/or cure your problem:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/brooklynella.html

From what you describe as a mucus coating, it sounds more like marine velvet which is very difficult to treat unless you have a QT tank up and ready to go. Velvet, 9 times out of 10, kills with in 72 of the first sign of infection, but with sufficient amounts of copper, and a good QT you should be okay. Here's a link to marine velvet:
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/amyloodinium.html

Now, I also have to agree with what Freed said, I would call up who you got them from, speak to a real person, and get some sort of refund, because it is really not okay for something like this to happen, and endanger the other livestock in the tank.

steelerguy
10/30/2007, 09:03 PM
So you think it is velvet rather than brooklynella? What type of treatment/medication would you recommend. Since there are a few corals in the tank I will QT the fish if needed.

Normally I would have put the fish in QT but these were the first fish in the tank. So I suppose they could use that as an excuse also but the tank finished cycling about 2 months ago and has had a cleanup crew and a a few corals now for 2 months.