PDA

View Full Version : question about changing braceing on tank

coolwheels
10/30/2007, 10:33 PM
I am in the process of setting up a large tank in my house it is 8 FT X 36" deep X 30" high it has a 2 ft wide glass brace in the middle of the tank it is all 3/4 inch glass brace is 1/2 inch glass but do not like the idea of having to get light through the glass or try to keep clean

My question is has any body ever removed this brace and replacing it with a full outside brace and cross supports

kinda hard to explain but thinking of building a 1.5x1.0 angle iron frame to go all the way arround the top of the tank where the black trim goes it would have 4 cross braces at 1,3,5,&7 ft made of 1"x .25" and them power coated to reduce rust

also was wondering if I did this would you put over existing black trim or against the glass with silicone

Thanks

coolwheels
10/31/2007, 07:37 PM
am I in the right feild or does no one have a opinion

spazz
10/31/2007, 10:20 PM
this may work well.
here is a couple of thoughts i have on the subject.
first you will need to fully support the glass with out any pressure points that may rupture if too much stress is placed in one area of the glass panel.
second powder coating wont be enough. you will need to sand blast the steel and then send it out and have it rino lined. its the same coating they use in the back of pickup trucks. this will protect the steel from rusting out. once you go to install the top bracing you will need to seal the edges with silicone so water does not settle behind the framework.
if you do this the way i have described you may also want to make the frame about an 1/8" bigger all the way around because rino lining is thick. the next thing i would do is squeeze silicone in behind the frame before seting it down completly on the glass. this will help to make the pressure on the glass more even once the silicone is hard. with care this can be done and should work very well. just use caution when putting it together.

good luck.

coolwheels
11/01/2007, 10:04 PM
thanks for the info
so would you remove the plastic trim I am taking it or buildit and put over the plastic trim?