PDA

View Full Version : SUMP conversion on established tank

JohnMcNic
10/31/2007, 07:54 AM
Greetings,

I have a 75g tank with a HOB protein skimmer, and a RENA XP3. Tank has been set up for a while now. No fish in it yet, just an urchin, and some crabs/snails. I wanted to get things just right before I added fish. With this said, I would like to convert my tank to use a 15-20g sump. I was just wondering if this is even possible to do on a tank that is already set up? I don't want to rip everything down and start over. I'm just curious if this is even doable. The only thing I would have to do to the display tank is drill a hole up to in the back glass, and fit it with an overflow right? Let me know what you think!!!

papagimp
10/31/2007, 07:57 AM
Do NOT drill a tank with it already full, not a smart move IMO. Either emtpy the setup and drill it, or get a HOB overflow box, if you do either of those, you can pull it off. I don't drill any of my tanks and adding a sump later hasnt' really been much of an issue, other than trying to move a tank away from the wall far enough for me to squeeze the new sump in the stand....that sucked nicely.

roberts722
10/31/2007, 01:14 PM
I would get a CPR overflow box along with an aqualifter pump.

Drilling a full tank is asking for trouble.

Piscator
10/31/2007, 01:41 PM
It is definitely possible...not even that hard. Just get the overflow mentioned above and a return pump. Most folks put the sump beneath the tank in their stand. If you can't do that for some reason, you could put it off to the side as well, just have to design the plumbing to fit.

And, yeah, don't try the drill thing while it is full.

:D

Best wishes,

ScottL4619
10/31/2007, 01:46 PM
You can sometimes cut a piece out of the side of the stand the same dimensions as the sump you want to put underneath and slide it in that way. That is if you don't have room or the right angle to do it another way. You can just replace the cut piece and use trim to put it back on.

I agree with the others for the drilling also. Just get an overflow and run the drain down into the sump and add a Mag5 or Mag7 (or equivalent flow) to the sump to pump it back up.