PDA

View Full Version : New Tank WITH or WITHOUT substrate??

Mini Me6
10/31/2007, 04:46 PM
Until I learn how to post pics, I can't show u guys my tank. I'm cycling my AP12 with live rock. It's been a month now and I just added my cleanup crew. All the parameters are just fine.

Do u guys think it will be harmfull to run a FOWLR tank without substrate??

I feel it would be easier to spot decaying organics to siphon out.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

sprinj76
10/31/2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not a fan of Bare Bottom tanks, but it’s more of a looks thing than anything else for me.

As for pictures of that tank you may want to check the Nano Forum, I know there are a quite a few people with that tank. You should be able to find examples of each.

demonsp
10/31/2007, 04:51 PM
Well where to star. If tank not doen cycling why did you add CUC.
Also FOWLR is best without substrate . Also 30 gallon to small for a FO. If you want a reef tank then you shoud add substrate before any stock and well before cycle is over is best.

acrodave
10/31/2007, 04:51 PM
should make the cleaning easier but imo they do not look natural

bertoni
10/31/2007, 04:53 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=803688

That thread might help.

Mini Me6
10/31/2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for ur replies. I'm still undecided.

Demonsp: I think u replied to the wrong thread. As stated, my tank has cycled and I have an AP12 not 30. But thanks for ur input.

I do not have any fish yet nor do I have any inverts. It's been a little over a month now and all I have is the cleanup crew.

Can any1 post some pics of successful Bare Bottom tank??

demonsp
10/31/2007, 06:20 PM
Talking and typing is never good. I was curios about cleanup crew cause many FO fish eat cleanup crew. Plus depending on the CUC you may not have much of a food source for them.
Though im not sure what fish you want so i was just wondering to help make things easier for you. As many FO fish are larger more aggresive and live better alone as in a 55 gallon you would be limited to stock and amount.
Just trying to help , give a heads up i guess.

Demonic
10/31/2007, 07:30 PM
i have to disagree with DemonSP. just because you are going to run a FOWLR doesnt mean you are limited to what CUC you have. Now if you have a puffer, eel, or trigger all of which are too big for your tank then you might have problems. I think a small flame angel, which is a great addition to a FO, maybe a small flame hawkfish, some gobies. Just letting you know that there are options out there. Everyone is going to have their opinion. Sometimes they are dumb. Just do your homework. I think it will be fine, and I would love to see some pictures....